addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

FreeThinkers of Fort Worth Message Board The Door › Ok, what's the difference between...

Ok, what's the difference between...

A former member
Post #: 11
The whole thing about using scripture to debate scripture is something the Fundamentalist Christian Right brought on itself. When people tried to use historical evidence or rational thought to question the Bible, these folks said that the word of God was infallible (or inerrant), so any conflict with outside sources served only to prove how faulty human thinking is. So, anyone who wanted to engage these rigid thinkers had to start looking to the only source they recognize as valid. Fortunately, it isn't objectively difficult to find factual and philosophical discrepancies in the Bible, even though it can be a tremendous psychological challenge for people raised to believe in a Bible that is absolutely true. It's unfortunate that the Christians who believe this haven't figured out that you can't validate a source by using the source itself. If it made sense to do that, we could "prove" every work of fiction. So sticking to scripture to debate scripture is really just a matter of courtesy toward another person's faith.
A former member
Post #: 36
Hey, no making sense. It kills the debate.

:)
A former member
Post #: 37
Samples

And Dan, I think you might have been talking about supporting the Ex in the manner to which she has become accustomed?
Dan
user 21916351
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 7
Yeah, that may be the legal term for it in Texas. I had seen something where some consideration was given to the sacrifice of being the spouse who devotes potential career-building time to the rearing of offspring.

Herr Stewart has been a hero since the old days when he encouraged people to smoke more Marlboros so that they could donate branded equipment to a local New Jersey Pop Warner football team.

To stay on topic, I'm guessing that an atheist believes that there is no god, or at least not enough evidence of one to make him (or her) take notice. A disgruntled Christian mostly believes in the Nicene creed, but doesn't approve of what some earthly church or other says is the only way to reach the kingdom of heaven.
A former member
Post #: 38
Don't worry about staying on topic for threads I start, I often pirate my own. :)

I looked up maintenance and it's 20%. I qualify but it would hurt to have to live on that. (plus child support would equal 40% but kiddo grads in a year and a half. Still need my own income.) I'm looking into rapid certification options just to get something to show that I really do have skills.

Speaking of piracy, here's the essay I mentioned though I said it wrong. Title self-explanatory.

Dark Suckers
Bell Labs Proves Existence of Dark Suckers

For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However,
recent information from Bell Labs has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs
don't emit light, they suck dark. Thus they now call these bulbs dark
suckers. The dark sucker theory, according to a Bell Labs spokesperson,
proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass heavier than that of
light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take
for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark
right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the
greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a
much greater capacity than the ones in this room. As with all things, dark
suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer
suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A candle is a
primitive dark sucker. lA new candle has a white wick. You will notice that
after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which
has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an
operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the
dark flowing into the candle.

Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range.
There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all
of the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When
the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before
the portable dark sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass
generates heat. Thus it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker.
Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid
wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus
it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier
than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets slowly darker
and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in
total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the
lake and the lighter light floats to the top. The immense power of dark can
be utilized to mans advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to
the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines, which generate
electricity and help push it to the ocean where it may be safely stored.
Prior to turbines, it was much more difficult to get dark from the rivers
and lakes to the ocean. The Indians recognized this problem, and tried to
solve it. When on a river in a canoe travelling in the same direction as
the flow of the dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of
dark, but when they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly
so as to help push the dark along its way.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand
in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open
the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since
the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the
closet.

In conclusion, Bell Labs stated that dark suckers make all our lives much
easier. So the next time you look at an electric bulb remember that it is
indeed a dark sucker.

Author Unknown

A former member
Post #: 39
Probably funnier thirty years ago when I first heard of it. ^^^
A former member
Post #: 40
Ok, after more thought, I have to ask....to the people who think they don't believe in God, have you considered other diety aspects, before you denied God?
A former member
Post #: 13
I was raised as a Christian, and later explored various pagan spiritual systems and the writings of people like Joseph Campbell and Jung. Ultimately I decided that any sort of external divine intelligence was an invention of human beings.

I still believe in a connection between human beings, sort of a Native American "web of existence" type of relationship. I also believe that many characteristics of the divine are essentially human subconscious. The Holy Spirit, divine guidance, type of things. Not the destroying cities and turning people into salt type of things.

I think the identification of an external divine being is healthy as a symbolic shorthand for people to access an inner truth, beauty, and creativity, but it has been widely misused as some elements of the human race have become insistent on more literal and concrete "I am right and you are wrong" interpretations over the centuries. So, while I can make the translation in my own head when someone is speaking in terms of God, I prefer the clarity of knowing that their "God" is a manifestation of their own psyche, just as whatever I identify as the divine is a manifestation of my own.

A former member
Post #: 41
Yeah, I spent some time with Jung, Campbell and a few Existentialists in college, wrote many papers using their influence as the point of view while describing cultural icons and other Anthropological phenomena. And the web of existence, "Mitakuye Oyasin" in Dakota Sioux (I think that's spelled right), "We Are All Related", is an underlying belief throughout mystecism. I read a little Black Elk and few books on Shamanism, Wicca and other esoterics.

The resolution of the delimma, "Is there a God," appears to have many paths and answers but ultimately no proof outside of one's personal experience. Does this mean that God can only exist in an individual's consciousness, but once perspective is taken outside that individual there really is no God?
A former member
Post #: 42
Ok, so I joined an atheist board and ran this question by them and rapidly came to the conclusion that atheists have no sense of humor. :P thpthpthtphtphthpthp.

But seriously (ha, ha) I've NEVER in all my years of forum participation, been treated so harshly by a group of "free thinkiers" (or anyone else, for that matter). It was like breathing on fire ant mound. One person decided I was a conservative christian just giving them a hard time, that I had insulted them and had made accusations that they couldn't in any way prove from the original post, then he reworded what I said, created an argument against me that was beyond 100% moot and this is what got to me....his buddies, a few dozen of them, FOLLOWED HIS FALSE PREMISE AND INSULTED THE H*** OUT OF ME BASED ON IT. WTH? How does that help anyone become a better human being? The obviously thought they knew everything they needed to know, even though what they "knew" and the "evidense" they provided as "proof" wasn't related to what I asked. They hounded me based on the moot trail one trolly poster created out of his butt.

My head is still shaking, jaw ajar.

WTH?