FreeThinkers of Fort Worth Message Board Book Reviews › Separation of church & state

Separation of church & state

Rob
user 3477588
Group Organizer
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 47
Grabbed a book from my store the other day and am 100 pages into it: Roger Williams and the Creation of the American Soul, by John M. Barry. So far it's essentially a harrowing but informative chronicle of the various and absolutely gut-wrenching forms of violence carried out in the name of God, Christ, the Pope, the King, etc. when Puritans and Catholics were at odds in England in the 1600s. Roger Williams was a Puritan who traveled to the American colonies some 150 years before Thomas Jefferson and spoke out in favor of government free from any and all religious affiliation. Having experienced King James' behavior based on the "divine right" concept, Williams was convinced that politics in the New World should have absolutely nothing to do with spiritual guidance. As mentioned, I am not yet halfway through the book but I recommend it for all non-believers and those interested in history. When I finish this, I will read Hitchens' bio of Jefferson - has anyone read that?