The Fairfax Volleyball Meetup Group Message Board › Running an offense

Running an offense

A former member
Post #: 3
Hey guys and gals,

I did a search on these forums and saw that there was some discussion about this in the past but I still think we play with middle front setting at these meet ups. I'm posting on this meet up because it was one of the first ones to get a bunch of players together in the NOVA area.

Anyways, does anyone know why we don't try to run more structured offense and defense at these meet ups? I know that we get the same people out pretty consistently. I think it would be way more fun/competitive if we did try to run these. I guess it is hard to control the skill level at these things because anyone can sign up to play.

I think this is unfortunate. I grew up in MD and most of the open gyms there run some type of offense. Middle front set would be like a last resort type of thing if the passing was really bad or you didn't have anyone who had decent hands.

Well, I'd love to hear what others think. I still enjoy playing at these meet ups as the competitive spirit is there. I was just wondering why the skill level hasn't "evolved" per se, as I feel like most of the people here play multiple days a week.

user 8625272
Vienna, VA
Post #: 2
somewhat surprised that no one respond/comment on this and only 16 views and this group just reach 1K members! Maybe most members choose not to get notification for discussion that most are unaware of this at all.
I would think that many of the regular would like to have a more structured offense/defense. However, I think the challenges are:
1. does our best players are vocal enough at the same time others will respect them and follow their view on how the offense/defense should be played?
2. do we have setters can and want to play 4/2, 6/2, 5/1?

If each team's best player is significant better than the rest, it is usually no issue on 1) above. But I am afraid that is not the case for our regulars. For 2), since folks are good for settings are usually good at attacker positions that it is difficult for them to just play setter positions for 4/2 format.

With our format of playing three games for each team before re-shuffle the team again, I am wondering, if Duane agree and folks willing to try, if we set the following rules:
1. the 2nd and 3rd game for the winner court must play some structured offense/defense
2. Duane will pick one team member as the captain/coach for each team play in the winner court
3. We can start with 4/2 and move toward 6/2 and/or 5/1 depend on our ability and progress. Can we also enforce that double-block requirement(with 6 players) at certain time and front row person not doing the blocking must prepare for the dink or sometime else rather than just stand close to the net for nothing.
4. Since we might only have 1 to 1.5 hours that we have all 24 players together for each meetup(when we have full roster) that we might want to decide what format to play when we have only 4 or 5 players in each team.

Just my 2c