addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Fantastic 50s Plus Message Board › $5 Fee Policy

$5 Fee Policy

Edwin
Hap46st
San Rafael, CA
Post #: 5
Here is an explanation of the policy governing the $5 Registration Fee that is charged for many of our meetups.

The purpose of the $5 Registration Fee is twofold:

1. To partially compensate the organizers and event hosts for: a) Meet-Up organizer fees, b) time and effort spent planning and organizing the events, responding to members' communications, and otherwise serving the members, and c) out-of-pocket expenses related to hosting events; and

2. To decrease the incidence of late cancellations and no-shows.

Typically, less than 50% of those who RSVP to events carrying no fee actually attend those events, and a majority of these no-shows never inform the event hosts or organizers that they will not attend. These cancellations often carry negative consequences for the other confirmed guests, For events carrying a fee, attendance increases to over 90% and the majority of those who do not attend, change their RSVP status to "No," thereby informing the hosts and organizers of their change in plans.

The Registration Fees are non-refundable, except in those cases where the event is cancelled or postponed.

Registration Fees for the events will be collected by the Lead Organizer. These fees may be distributed to the Event Hosts dependent on: a) the level of responsibility they undertake in the planning and organizing of the event independent of the assistance of the Lead or Assistant Organizers, b) the number of guests who attend their event, and c) the amount of out-of-pocket expenses they incur in holding the event.

Thanks much,
Edwin
A former member
Post #: 3
Edwin - I am one of those people who occasionally attends Meetup events and benefits directly from the tireless efforts of those willing to take the lead. All I have to do is click an RSVP, commit by paying ahead if necessary, then show up to enjoy an experience and meet new people.

I find it ridiculous that you are put in a position of having to justify charging a pittance to take the lead and organize something for the enjoyment of others.

I have never met you or attended any of your events (yet), nor have I RSVP'd to any that I did not attend. I admire those organizers who take the time and energy to keep Meetup groups going. There are plenty of groups that never post events or start, then stop. Instead of nitpicking, there should be more gratitude!

So thank you! Only $5? When I am free and there is an event I am interested in, I will happily RSVP, pay, and attend!
gloria g
user 3729814
Aptos, CA
Post #: 9
Ditto to Carol's comments........I had to shake my head that you had to spend the energy to explain why you were charging a $5 fee. Being an organizer is alot of work behind the scenes and then you have to deal with alot of different personalities....some flexible and some not. I know alot of meetup organizers are starting to charge either a flat fee or per event because they are tired of no-shows or people that commit and decide on a "better offer" last minute. If people are hit in the pocketbook they tend to be more responsible.
Thanks for being our organizer Edwin!
Cynthia
user 11850672
San Bruno, CA
Post #: 5
Edwin,

I can't say much more than what's been already been stated. I know how hard it is to pin people down and the small charge hopefully, can get people more committed. This can only enhance the group experience, and cause you less frustration. Thanks again Edwin, for all you do. Cynthia
A former member
Post #: 44
Hi Edwin,
I hosted the Hike & Oysters meetup where we had over 40 RSVPs, over 100 messages and numerous offers to share food but when it came down to the final days people dropped out for numerous reasons, and we ended up with 10, which was the number I wanted in the beginning. I'm sure a $5 would have reduced the RSVPs to more committed members and reduced my time in responding to emails.
I organize a photography group that when I took over had similar tendencies. To change the "culture" of the group I initiated a $3 meetup fee, limit the RSVPs to 8-10, require signing a liability release, require re-committment 7 days prior to meetup by providing cell# and contact info, require attending both shoot and dine activities, and post-meetup upload of their photos. To date we have more meetups and flaking is rare. I assume people are good but need to invest in the meetup and need direction.
Good luck,
Digne
A former member
Post #: 299
People sign up - don't show up - This is the "rude" generation - and not a responsible one -
To charge a fee for event's that require expenditures by the organizer is REALISTIC ! ! !

A general fee to join/belong to a group doesn't accomplish courteous RSVP's - once a fee
for joining is paid - - individual meetup outings become the same problem - -

Contact "Meetup Organization" - - I think you can require the fee to be paid thru
the system BEFORE an RSVP is accepted
- - - and IF you have to spend money - it seems
the way to go. In addition - - people that sign up - make a large group - don't show up -
keeps me from attending events. IF the group becomes one that damages the area to
be hiked OR becomes less than enjoyable due to mass confusion - - I do NOT attend.

Thanks for all your efforts to plan "great" events ! ! !
A former member
Post #: 30
Thanks to Edwin for all his work organizing Meetup events. Everyone can tell he's doing a fabulous job :) -- and is more than deserving of at least $5.00 per event, both for his own work and any expenses and time expended and for added incentive for people to actually attend.

As someone who's hosted more than 100 events on other online activity sites through the years (the old Culture Club group on Yahoo and later the Bay Area Linkup Group), I know firsthand how much work it can be to set up an event and make it a success.

As much as I like Meetup in general and continue to enjoy the activities and all the terrific people I've met, the two things I don't understand about how Meetup is set up are:

--why does Meetup charge the organizers fees when the organizers are the ones doing 99 percent of the work involved in the site's activities? That just seems wacky to me, except in the cases where organizers of certain groups are clearly making a profit by providing services or activities that they also provide through their side businesses, etc. (By contrast, at Linkup, everyone was charged a flat rate of $4.95 a month regardless of how many events they attended or hosted.)

and

--why does Meetup not provide a "flake demerit" function? That was one of the things I liked about the old Bay Area Linkup, where I regularly hosted events. If someone didn't show up for an event, the host could "flake" them. Members' resulting attendance record (kind of like a credit rating, LOL) was viewable by everyone. Hosts could also set up events so that only people with an attendance record above a certain percentage of "show ups" could RSVP. As a host, I *loved* that idea. I could set up a restaurant reservation with confidence that everyone would show. With Meetup: not so much. (note that I'm *not *referring specifically to the Fantastic Fifties group here, but to the "Meetuplandia" mindset as a whole) ... Without that function at our disposal, I think the ideas that Edwin and Digne offer, above, are excellent ones, as a way of boosting attendance and discouraging no-shows, all of which makes the event better for the host and guest list alike.

THANKS AGAIN to Edwin for all you're doing!!!! You're fantastic!