Federal Hill Book & Wine Club Message Board › Book List Ideas for first meeting

Book List Ideas for first meeting

patti j.
PattiJefferson
Group Organizer
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
Hi everyone!
In anticipation of our first meeting on Feb 27th, please take a look at the following list, and add your own suggestions. We are going to take a vote on our first two books (and will re-evaluate after that). If you have read any of these already, please say so, so I can take them off the list.

1. 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen
2, 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' by Mark Haddon
3. 'The Black Dahlia' by James Ellroy
4. 'The Unit' by Ninni Holmqvist
5. 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley
6. 'Love in the Time of Cholera' by Gabriel García Márquez
7. 'The Sound and the Fury' by William Faulkner
8. 'The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter' by Carson McCullers
A former member
Post #: 23
1. Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
2. ROOM: A Novel by Emma Donoghue
3. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
4. Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult
5. The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards
6. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
A former member
1. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Shopgirl by Steve Martin
3. La Confidential by James Ellroy
4. Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin
5. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho
A former member
I just read Water for Elephants a few months ago but it was an excellent novel. I've not read any of the other suggestions though (except for Three Cups of Tea)! (Again, big non-fiction reader here.) I've heard great things about The Alchemist.

A few books I'd been looking to read were:
1. The King's Speech - Mark Logue and Peter Conradi
2. Stones Into School - Greg Mortenson (author of Three Cups of Tea)
3. Sold - Patricia McCormick
4. Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
patti j.
PattiJefferson
Group Organizer
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 2
Has anyone read Deus Ex Machina, by Andrew Foster Altschul? It just came out, and sounds interesting:
On a distant island, reality show contestants battle for bragging rights and a slot on next week’s episode. They’ve perfected their dramatic roles and are prepared to do whatever it takes to win. There’s the take-no-prisoners Marine sergeant, the gay hairdresser, the ruthless lawyer, the brainy poet. But one player refuses to compete—Gloria Hamm, a sullen dental hygienist, voted least likely to win by the show’s crew. The higher-ups are desperate for ratings and sensational twists to trump the plots of seasons past. But the producer—haunted by personal tragedies all too real—is losing control of the show and its crew.[/i]

I also happen to be a big Chuck Palaniuk fan and would suggest:

1. Choke
2. Lullaby
3. Survivor

A former member
Pretty much everything you guys have listed is waiting in a huge stack of books I have... Waiting to be read :-)

I also have read Water for Elephants (wonderful, with a movie version coming out soon), The Curious Incident... is one of my favs and I would love to read it again, and I particularly have been wanting to read The Room, Hunger Games, Shopgirl, and The Alchemist.

They all sound wonderful!
Sarah
user 13957014
Baltimore, MD
I have been wanting to read 'Water for Elephants,' 'The Black Dahlia,' and 'Love in the Time of Cholera.' Any of those would be great to start with! I will do some thinking about some other books to add to the list.
A former member
I don't know books by names or authors... I kind of just browse a bookstore for the topics I like and see what's interesting.

I'm more into reading non fiction and am interested in real life crimes, mysteries, ancient mysteries/treasures, new age, psychological books, true ghost stories, just about most topics that are true I guess. :)