L.A. Foodies Message Board Restaurants, Carts & Food Truck Reviews › Restaurant Review - Jack Shrimp Newport Beach

Restaurant Review - Jack Shrimp Newport Beach

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4,850
Jack Shrimp
2400 W Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663
(949) 650-5577

Yesterday was my OC groupon day... I had 3 of them in the OC and I was determined to redeem them all and I did. Jackshrimp was my first stop. Jack is the brother of one of the founders of Killer Shrimp in Mdr and I used to enjoy that place when I had an office a few blocks away. Especially since the guy I sold my first house (as agent) to was involved with the KS restaurant. So I had to spend $40 solo there... I ordered a bowl of gumbo and it was thick, rich, spicy and delicious. The andouille sausage was diced so fine it was more of a minced... too small for my preference, but the flavor was good. Next up I ordered the Jammin Jambalaya and it was really loaded up with hearty chunks of boneless chix breast meat and nice slices of the andouille sausage, so no complaints about the size, portion, flavor, proteins... it was all good. No shrimp in the dish however which I felt was strange. They should at least make that an option being a shrimp house.

I ordered the Jackshrimp with the crusty bread for soaking to go for my evenings dinner after I finished my OC tour. When I got home, I zapped the shrimp in its to go container and 2.5 minutes later, it was piping hot and good to go. This was actually a rare shrimp dish that reheats beautifully. The sauce seems a bit different from the Killer Shrimp sauce, but not in a bad way. I haven't been to KS in over 7 years, so it's not fair to compare in fine points anyway, but my impression is that JS sauce was richer, more complex and quite delicious. It had a nice amount of heat too, but for a full order for $18 I got about 9-10 large shrimps... perhaps they coulda put in a few more for the price.

Man, this rich, spicy food is like living the good life! I love this home style cooking that the owner/chefs cooks for his point of view... The food is spicy, probably too spicy for a lot of people, but I like it spicy, so it's great for me... But, it's not gonna appeal to everyone cause it might be too spicy for many palates.

I really enjoyed all three dishes and with the groupon I used, that made it an outstanding value. I'd love to return here, but I'm in Hollywood, so it's just too far for me to go. So, unless I can multitask and have other business/pleasure in the OC, I just can't hit up the place regularly. Oh, I forgot my jacket at my table and I just realized it and I pulled my car up to the front door, and I think it was probably Jack who saw me and ran over, grabbed my jacket and handed it to me before I even got inside. Thank you Jack, I have my Sansa Fuze MP3 player in my jacket that I would have been bummed out if I'd have left it behind.

Great customer service, great discount/value, friendly wait staff, nice location (if you live around there), free self parking lot, delicious spicy food. 4.5 stars so I'm gonna round up. Without the groupon, I'd give it a 4.