align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board New Event Announcements and or Changes to Events › New Meetup: I Survived Celebration.. Extravagant Cantonese Banquet - Chinatown

New Meetup: I Survived Celebration.. Extravagant Cantonese Banquet - Chinatown

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Announcing a new Meetup for L.A. Foodies!

What: I Survived Celebration.. Extravagant Cantonese Banquet - Chinatown
When: Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:00 PM

Price: $49.50 per person

Where: CBS Seafood Restaurant
700 N Spring St
Los Angeles, CA 90012

As many of you know, I spent 8 days in the hospital and must now begin a low sodium, low cholesterol diet, low everything healthy diet. I'd like to celebrate the fact that I survived and I hope you will join me in this festive banquet! Well dammit, this may be my last hurrah for a extravagant Cantonese banquet meal. So I hope you will take exception to the higher than usual price for this once in a lifetime banquet feast! Just the Shark Fin Soup alone costs about $15/person! While the Yelp reviews are only 3 stars, that only represents their dim sum, to go deli and their ordinary dinners and I cannot disagree with them. However, when it comes to large banquets, this is where many Chinese restaurants shine. Also, the menu choices that Yelpers choose makes a huge difference as we will be feasting some of the most famous, most expensive and most delicious dishes the Cantonese cuisine has to offer. A normal banquet dinner, we might order one great dish and the rest ordinary dishes. At this banquet, several of the dishes are truly special. I figure, if I'm gonna blow my diet, one time, this is gonna be IT!!! When I visited the restaurant, I saw they had Santa Barbara prawns, but at $32/lb that's only about 4 prawns, so I had to pass on them.

Arrive at 6pm for the cocktail hour and dinner service will begin promptly at 7pm, so don't be late. We will save a bowl of the Shark fin soup for all late arrivers. If you don't want shark fin soup, if we have 8-10 members who don't want the soup, we can substitute with a seafood soup. I will reserve a max of one table.

This menu would be typical of a very wealthy family's wedding banquet dinner at nearly $500/table. As you may know, our dinners at Hop Li have usually run only $25-29 tax and tip included. We will be in tables of ten and using large tables (a few tables may need to accommodate 11 if we have less than 9 on the final table) and portions will be banquet sized, not regular sized dishes such as the lobsters will not be 1-1.5 lbs, but more like 3-4 pounders! Shark fin with crab soup which can cost from $12 to $60 per BOWL and MORE! BBQ suckling pig and appetizer platter with jelly fish and other goodies. No, it will not be a whole suckling pig, just the best cuts. A whole suckling pig costs about $140 alone. The original menu included an abalone dish that I'm swapping out for Peking Duck because they use canned abalone, not fresh and the can stuff just doesn't hold a candle to fresh abalone. This should be a banquet and an event you will remember for a long time, so spend a bit more and you will not regret it!

I've negotiated a corkage deal of $10 per table (regularly $15/bottle) and you can bring anything you want. Wine, champagne, beer, hard liquor, apple juice, whatever. We need to provide our own cork screw, so if you have a small one, you might want to bring it. I'll bring a couple extras as well. They will provide stemware. They will provide us with regular and diet Coke or 7UP. If you order any drinks from the restaurant, you will please pay the Table Captain in cash $3-5 each.

BBQ Suckling pig combination platter
Pan fried whole scallops
Large prawns w/honey walnuts
Stewed shark fin with crab meat Soup
Baked lobster with top soup
Peking Duck
Sizzling Filet Steak w/black pepper
Asparagus w/black bean sauce
House Special chow fun dry style
steamed white rice
Dessert - Tapioca ?
Green Tea
2 liter bottle at each table 3 diet Coke, 3 diet 7up, 2 reg. Coke, 2 reg 7up (if we get 10 tables)

The menu is not finalized as I am still negotiating with them.

Parking - I think free metered parking exists on Sundays (please read the sings to confirm) and there's a restaurant free parking lot for the early birds. There's also a huge parking lot that costs about $5 for the evening.

Check it out!