addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board New Event Announcements and or Changes to Events › Year Of The Dragon Chinese New Year Banquet - Chinatown

Year Of The Dragon Chinese New Year Banquet - Chinatown

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Gon Hay Fat Choy Foodies,

Despite the water/wine/champagne glasses fiasco, I hope you enjoyed the dinner. Normally I schedule our large events on nights that nothing is going on to avoid those logistical problems, but I wanted to visit the temple after dinner as this was the first time for me to see the temple festivities and I wanted to take in some extra cultural experiences.

Those that walked around the corner to the temple were treated to a 5 dragon dance, hundreds of people giving offerings and prayers and if you were curious and went to the back of the temple, you would have gotten a free cup of Chinese porridge called Jook and your choice of condiments included, fermented tofu, fermented/pickled vegetables or beans added to your Jook. Also they had hot tea as well. I didn't pig out at our banquet so I was able to try out the Jook and it was much different than the way I cook it as I don't use any of the condiments that they provided. I rely on making a flavorful broth and the leftover bits of meat from the soup stock and then provide standard flavorings such as soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauces, cilantro and green onions to name a few.

I posted the photos I took that evening, I was busy managing the event, so I didn't have time to take pics of the dishes... I hope there are members who did and will post the photos they took. Check out the pics...

http://www.meetup.com/Foodies/events/15807672/­

The Chinese New Year festivities goes all week long and maybe I might do a short notice dim sum event on Sunday... MAYBE...

See you at the table again soon!

Darrell
A former member
Post #: 7
Darrell,

you did a FABU job of organizing the group, the menu and the entertainment afterward. It's difficult to plan an event and you seemed to actually have enjoyed yourself while taking care of US! so kudos!

I like the pics you posted, especially the dragon costumes. I stayed for the second dragon dance and fireworks but was unable to get a good pic of the dragon costumes, so thank you for posting!

I thoroughly enjoyed this meetup and your hospitality as the organizer. This is one of the best meetup groups ever!

Thanks for all you do and for inspiring others to participate fully!

Nina C