addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board L.A. Foodies+ Discussion Forum › Wine Tasting, Cheese & Chips in Bel Air

Wine Tasting, Cheese & Chips in Bel Air

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Poker Chips that is...

Well as an experiment, Michael posted this event in my LA Poker Group and I decided to joint post it here as well. I didn't think we'd get too much interest in this event here but it filled 10 seats immediately. So I added 5 more seats, if those fill, I'll add more. Here's the link to check it out...

Wine Tasting & Poker Event

While we are on wine... Any interest in a day jaunt up to the Santa Barbara wineries to do some wine tasting? If so, post your interest in the message board.

See ya at the table!

Darrell Lee
Organizer

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone, Since there are more than a few foodies coming I will try to put some effort into making the "stuff" accompanying the wine a little interesting. I will probably do a combination Trader Vic's, Smart & Final shopping run. If anyone knows of other good reasonably priced shopping places close to the Bel Air Barrio please let me know. I was just wine tasting in Santa Barbara last weekend and one of our already selected wines, Au Bon Climat, comes from there. I am in Vegas right now. When I return I will be adding one to two more wines to the tasting using my highly sophisticated shopping methodology; (you go to Vons & find something good on sale). Looking forward to seeing you all there. Your host, Michael
A former member
Post #: 19
Michael, thank you for hosting this. I haven't purchased wines from the supermarket in a long long time because they don't offer the best pricing. So out of curiosity, as I am curious about things food and drink, I looked up those wines at the Wine House (not always the best prices either), and the Trefethen and Au Bon Climat are quite a bit less. A little bit outside of the Barrio, but it could mean an extra bottle of wine.
If you decide to add a couple of cabs, I'll bring some chocolate. :)
A former member
Post #: 5
Kat is right. In fact, if you were to go to Costco, you may find ABC and Trefethen for even less than you would at Wine House. I've purchased the Trefethen there before and I remember seeing ABC, but in general their prices for wines are a lot cheaper than Vons, almost $10 less per bottle for the some of the wines we are talking about.
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 410
Michael is estimating it might cost him double the amount charged but he wants to do it! So, if I have time, I'm gonna make something to share.
A former member
Post #: 2
I am not sure my vintage Hyundia can make it all the way to the Costco in the valley from the barrio anymore. Don't sell Vons short on value. As I said before I bought everything on sale so the final prices came out as follows:
Retail / Actual Price

Trefethen 32.99 / 22.49

Sonoma-Cutrer 29.99 / 22.48

Au Bon Climat 23.99 / 17.07

& two new additions:

Chalone Vineyard 29.99 / 20.97
(2005,Monterey County)

Cambria 24.99 / 13.49
(2004, Santa Maria Valley)

The retail prices are simply to give people a value reference point. All of this higher math makes my head spin and yes as Darrell pointed out I totally missed the budget numbers. But not worries, I am going to let my accountant figure all of this stuff out. Look forward to seeing you all , Michael

Ps Darrell, when you get a chance can you add the two additional Chardonnay's to the tasting menu on the posting.

Pps Now comes the hard part. Shopping for cheese, salami and crakers. I don't do well with perisables.