L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-21

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-21

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 10-21

Julia Childs & Emeril Lagasse EARLY Video! This is a must watch! Shrimp Etouffee & Crab Boil...

Hello Foodies!

Sorry for the long gap between issues, but... I needed a break... these newsletters take a lot of time to write and if I don't publish on the day scheduled, almost all the discount deal links become obsolete and requires a big rewrite... So... this is a much longer than usual newsletter.

Special LA Foodies Signature Events - I'm pleased to announce Todd and I worked together with 55 Degree Wine to roll out a really special monthly event only for our LA Foodies! We met with the Founder/Owner Andy and we put together a future series of Saturday evening food and wine events that will be must attend events! These will be so superior to any tastings we've done in the past as LA Foodies Event Hosts pick wines, not the store or distributor so that our wines selected are all great values, affordable and perfect for everyday drinking wines. Andy is giving us total control of the wine selections, so our serious winos can help pick out the wines to be tasted at future events. If other Event Hosts want to come on board to advise/choose wines, we may add a second Saturday evening event as well. If it goes well, we may add a gourmet Food Truck to the mix...­ See LA Foodies Post ­ OR See Asian Foodies Post

Foodies Give Back! - I've contacted Project Angelfood and the coordinator had some opportunities coming up. Mid November a painting project (Not my cup of tea), Divine Design (volunteering for retail store type duties) and in early December a kitchen project... I'm only interested in the kitchen project, BUT if a member is interested in the other possible projects and wants to either volunteer or be our Project Angelfood Liason to coordinate one or more projects, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll probably hold off until their December project. Aly is again coordinating her Union Station project and a bunch of Foodies will be helping them on Thanksgiving. This is awesome and it is the season for giving... but these organizations often need year around volunteers and I KNOW we have lots of amazing, caring, generous members who would happily volunteer to help those in need beyond the holiday season. Personally I find that I'm greatly rewarded when I volunteer my time to organizations/others in need and I find it is great personal growth to go beyond the me, me, me stage of life.

Our group is huge with 2,400+ members! When I was president of my local Lions Club, we only had about 20-25 members on our roster... BUT we did a LOT for our local community. We donated to the Lions Eye Institute, conducted early eye tests for Kindergarten and 1st graders, went to local schools to teach students about our American Flag on Flag Day, we hosted pancake breakfast events and fed hundreds of people for $2.00/person! We manned the Lions EyeMobile at health fairs. We referred dozens of people each year who needed eye surgery that could not afford to pay to the City of Hope where our Lions Eye Institute is at and NO ONE of our Lions referrals is refused care at that state of the art facility. We collected hundreds of unwanted prescription eyeglasses and shipped them to 3rd world countries who could recycle and use those eyeglasses. All these wonderful acts of volunteerism with only 20-25 people! With 100 times more members, surely we could do some special acts of volunteerism if we can find the right projects.

Darrell's Test Kitchen - I defrosted and cooked up one of the boneless ribeye steaks I bought from Super King Market a couple weeks ago and I was shocked how tender and tasty it was! This was only a Select cut and defrosted yet it was so good (and cheap). I'm really loving their meat and deli sections so much. They sometimes have limited supply of truly gourmet items in the deli counter as well as the produce section. The last time there, I found lovely and delicious squash blossoms which I stuffed with feta cheese that I loaded up with herbs and used an egg wash and dredged them in a simple seasoned cornmeal/ cornstarch and wow, they were so good. I also found some FRESH pistachio nuts which the nut meat is very soft inside. Actually a bit bland compared to the normal dried/salted nuts you buy. Also made a yummy banh mi with Virginia smoked ham, olive loaf, Columbus hot salami, Italian hard salami, Swiss cheese and all meats/cheeses found cheap at SK market. I love that place! They had a very lean Canadian bacon on sale as well and I had them special slice it for me with a real thick cut and same with another batch of Virginia smoke ham for cooking, not for sandwiches. 30+ years ago, Virginia smoked ham was nearly always specified for cooking in classic Chinese Cantonese dishes and for 10+ years, this ham was very hard to find or very expensive, so I felt I really scored as SK Market has it for only around $3/lb vs about $6-9/lb in gourmet/specialty stores. It is used in steamed egg dishes, pork dishes, chicken dishes and it is prized for it's nice salty flavor and it's smoky flavor. Love it!

Home Made Korean Kim Chee - I haven't made Kim Chee in a long time! My next Test Kitchen project is Asian Fusion tacos so I decided I need some kim chee for this project. Yes, Kogi BBQ Korean tacos is #1 on my hit list, but I am also planning to cook up some bold Asian fusion tacos I haven't seen anyone make yet... So... this is a top secret project for Friday or Saturday. The initial results of the kim chee is quite tasty. The authentic recipes I've used in the past usually calls for either fish sauce or more commonly shrimp paste which if you are Korean, you love the more "fishy" taste. BUT, my/our Americanized taste buds usually tend to prefer less fishy tastes/flavors/aromas so the most popular online recipes do not seem to contain those ingredients. I have both at home that have been sitting around for years because I also prefer an Americanized version, however, I did use a modest amount of fish sauce. It takes 3-5 days for the kim chee to fully develop and marry the flavors, but my initial tasting was very encouraging.

Pickled Sugar Beets, Red Onions & Eggs - I had to cook up my remaining beets and I pressure cooked about 2 lbs of them in my pressure cooker for about 18-20 minutes instead of boiling for at least an hour. I need pickled red onions for my fusion tacos so a simple pickle liquid of water/beet juice/vinegar/sugar is all I needed and I decided to pickle some hard boiled eggs in the liquid like Philippe's does, so cool, 3 different ingredients all in one bowl. While the veggies can stay in for a couple weeks or longer, the eggs must be removed after 2-3 days or they turn to rubber.

Gourmet Salts - I love those expensive, gourmet, trendy salts. But they are EXPENSIVE! I already have Kosher salt, Italian coarse & fine sea salt, Hawaiian sea salt and a few more. In the past I made my own smoked salt using my Hawaiian sea salt. Yesterday, I had the beet juice and tried to think of some use for that gorgeous magenta liquid and decided to make a pink sea salt perhaps for Valentine's Day and it was simple to do. My previous efforts to smoke salt using my water smoker worked but it was rather expensive using about $2 of mesquite charcoal for a few ounces of salt. So I decided to take a shortcut and use hickory Liquid Smoke and my Italian coarse sea salt and I think it will be successful (haven't used it yet). It's simple to create your own flavored salts... just add some wet flavoring to your salt and then dry it in your oven or in my case, I used my Toast-r-oven and about 300 degrees for 10-20 minutes depending on the amount you are drying. Williams & Sonoma charges $8/3.1oz for a Hickory Smoked Sea Salt and I made 3 oz for about FIVE CENTS!

Videos of the Day - Soft shelled crabs! Wow, chef Eric Ripert takes us from the crab traps to the holding tanks to the plate of soft shelled crabs. Sorry wrong link previously Click here to view I also found a PBS video from ­Julia Childs show featuring Emeril Lagasse BEFORE he was the big personality he is today. NO BAM! and... a full head of hair!

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Deals Of The Day - BloomSpot­ has a private Wine Tasting for 12 for $49! They also have a bourbon tasting for one person here

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = PUMPKIN
LivingSocial.com - Botox anyone?
Dealpop.com­ - Industry Cafe & Jazz - Culver City
Groupon.com­ - Tuk Tuk Thai Food Westside. Also custom photo books & calendars as a side deal
BloomSpot.com­ -
Tippr.com­ - Wine delivery subscription
SocialBuy.com­ - Honey Kettle Fried Chicken & a Dental deal
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ - Tinga
Bogopod.com­ - Like BBE and Great Work Perks, free discounts, no prepays
Greatworkperks.com­
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee