Fremont Digital Photo Academy Message Board › Freeschool isn't FREE anymore?

Freeschool isn't FREE anymore?

Len C.
user 10173529
Group Organizer
Fremont, CA
All:

What happened to the FREE in Freeschool?

No-shows, that’s what happened.
Hereafter there will be a non-refundable $10 charge to sign up for a class.  By adding this fee to the signup I expect there will be fewer no-shows in my classes, and fewer people will be stranded on the never-ending waitlists. I am dedicating a lot of my life to sharing my knowledge and experience; sharing it with empty chairs is not a good use of my time.

More info:
Life happens, personal plans change. I understand that reality, and I’m hoping most of you will understand as well.
I have given more than 80 classes in the last couple of years, and my Meetup group now has more than 900 members -- wow, thank you all!  Many of my classes now have waiting lists for every class.
Unfortunately, some folks have not shown up to the classes, and they didn’t change their RSVP.  The result?  Lots of members STILL on the waiting lists while there are empty seats in the classroom during the presentation.
True, life happens, and work happens, and child care happens, and spouses’ work happens, and so on.  Sometimes members suddenly can’t make a class. But I wish to honor those who sign up to the waiting list in good faith, hoping for a spot to open. Some of those folks miss out when a member who made a too-casual commitment to the class fails to arrive and participate.
The result is a poor, lonely chair expecting a waitlisted member who never arrives.
A small fee will make a big difference in the level of commitment members are willing to make to a class, thereby joining me in respect for all members who wish to attend.
Thank you for your consideration,
Len

Pam H.
user 13792652
Castro Valley, CA
Post #: 20
No shows seem to plague the meetup groups. I have to agree that making a financial commitment should lower the percentage of those who decide it's too cold out to leave the house. I'm game for anything that will keep Len teaching and sharing his valuable knowledge and insight.