2011 June Voting Thread

Closed to new replies

Karen F.
floyka
Arvada, CO
Post #: 694
June's contest theme was chosen by Bridget, winner of the April 2011 contest:

Abandoned and Discarded

We had 7 images submitted for consideration in the June contest and 4 images submitted for exhibition. They can be viewed in the 2011 June Photo Assignment album.

Voting starts now and ends on Thursday, June 30th, at NOON! The winner will be formally announced shortly afterwards. If you submitted an image in the contest, please have a topic picked out and ready to go should I contact you about winning the contest. With any luck, we'll have the new topic posted before the long weekend is over!

There are 7 images submitted for consideration in the contest. The entry number is in the title/caption of the image and IS NOT the image number in the album.

Voting Rules:

• Rank the 3 images from first place to third place with "#1" being your favorite.
  • If you're having a hard time ranking, then don't forget to consider an image's adherence to the theme when determining your votes and ranking.
  • You are only allowed to cast your vote once per monthly assignment.
  • You may vote for your own photo.

The winner will receive:

• Bragging rights.
  • The choice of the July, 2011 photo assignment theme.
  • The winning photo will become the meetup group's main image for the following month.

How-To Vote:
Please take a few minutes to look over the entries and then reply to this thread by listing your top 3 images in the order you feel they should be placed. An example voting entry follows:

1st place: Entry #y This image rocks because...
2nd place: Entry #x I like this photo because...
3rd place: Entry #z This image is cool because...

Voting is weighted by number of votes AND ranking, so the image with the highest score, not necessarily the most votes, will be the winner.

Thanks everyone for your participation in the June assignment. Good luck!
Anna
RedSonjaXE
Englewood, CO
Post #: 108
I missed this one and wish I got in on it....buy have been super busy.

Voting:
#3 - So much to say about this one regarding the subject...Done very well, also great composition
#2 - Nails topic, lots of great color, sharp, and then a light at the end of the rainbow.. =) Lovely.
#6 - I think this shot is great and love black and white...im curious to know too, im sure it was staged.
Russ B.
user 10411345
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
Great images overall and most really fit the assigned theme

1st place goes to image #3. It fits the theme and tugs at the heart strings. Very timely image and well done.
2nd place goes to image #6. The B&W treatment really fits. Revealing more of the "abandoned" expression on the bride's face would have given it greater impact.
3rd place goes to image #2. Great light and I like the inclusion of the rainbow to provide hope to the abandoned. Had the image been taken as a horizontal and filled the frame with the caboose and rainbow, I would have scored it higher.
Ray
user 8287914
Longmont, CO
Post #: 15
1st place: Number 2. I love it all - the composition, the colors and the rainbow.

2nd place: Number 6. Composition, treatment, overall "feel". Yeah, I know its mine.

3rd place: Number 3. Excellent composition, flow, color, and feel. Great shot.
A former member
Post #: 7
I missed this one too, made it really bad that I had one ready!

1st place: Entry #6 I like the use of grayscale, even the gazebo looks abandoned with the chipped off paint. How often are you able to capture THIS type of picture. Awesome!

2nd place: Entry #3 This made me chuckle. The look on his face and the renaissance style shopping cart give the impression of period discarded veteran. It would have tipped over the top for me had the modern day items, hadn't been in the shop. Fantastic capture!

3rd place: Entry #7 This has heart and soul. It captured the reality of so many in one shot. The use of grayscale made it all the more powerful a message for me.
Alex B.
user 13774561
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
1st Place: #3 - think it is a great shot all in all.
2nd Place: #2 - I love the rainbow in background and the colors just jump out.
3rd Place: #7 - very fitting and the black and white are perfect for the setting and theme.
Charlie L.
user 5321595
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 570
OK, I chose #3 the best as fitting the category

#7 is a very good image so I selected it as the next best image.

and #6 for third place in my ranking.
Mark S
Mark...
Littleton, CO
Post #: 135
1st place: #3. This is an image that has a lot to say.
2nd place: #2: Love the subject, the composition, and the colors.
3rd place: #6: This image was really done well, even including the vantage point, looking down on the subject, which enhances the intended feeling of the image.
Elane
user 12805561
Castle Rock, CO
Post #: 22
1st place: #6- it truly conveys emotion and leads you to wonder "why so sad"
2nd place: #2- the colors just pop, good composition, sense of place or "out of place"
3rd place: #3- so many questions