Greater Hartford GNU Linux Users Group Message Board › An introduction (and a couple of questions)...

An introduction (and a couple of questions)...

M. A. G.
user 47236582
Windsor, CT
Post #: 1
Hi all. First post here, as I'm relatively young and therefore new to everything in the world of Linux (I was never a techie in the slightest until just a couple years ago when I started a class/mentoring program with another member of this group who has taught me a lot), but as I'm planning on attending tomorrow's meetup, I wanted to drop in and say hello. I also saw this as a decent opportunity to potentially get a couple questions answered, so that during the meetup, I personally can be more of an observer for my first time.

Anyhow, first question is Ubuntu specific I suppose, but the Ubuntu forums provided little help for me on this one: I have a triple boot setup with Xubuntu 11.10 on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro, and when using the touchpad as opposed to a USB mouse, the mouse cursor will completely freeze/lock up at the most random times. Ubuntu's forums provided the solution of entering the command synclient TouchpadOff=0 each time it happens in order to unfreeze it, but that's a major inconvenience. I tried to add that command to my bash profile, too, with no luck.

Last question, and most likely more of a stupid question, is regarding distribution updates/upgrades. Xubuntu has released version 12.04 pretty recently and I was wondering if, when dealing with a triple boot scenario, if installing such an upgrade is safe, would more than likely break one or more of the OS', or if there's no definitive answer. I've heard information that there could potentially be some conflicts with GRUB when doing such an upgrade (just as when doing the initial install on a triple-boot), but thought someone hear may have experience with such matters.

Thanks,

M.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,

Welcome to the Linux!
Having Linux skills today is wonderful. I think learning on your own is great.

Being a guy that has been doing this for awhile, might I suggest the following...
Virtualization has come very far. Type-2 Hypervisors (A hypervisor that sits on top of a host OS) is getting better and better every day.

I would forget the Triple boot. Virtualize!
Virtualbox is free and open-source from Oracle. Its a great product and I run Linux on my Macbook Air.
It runs fine. www.virtualbox.org

I figure you have Windows for games or some other application(s). Virtualizing games won't be a good idea.
You just can't get the drivers and the extra overhead to give you a high fps.

Before you decide to remove Linux, make sure you back up ALL of your data. You might lose something if something goes wrong.

A nice backup program is Crashplan. If you have another box in the house, you can do a lan backup. Its free. Not open-source. If you choose to pay them you can do off site backup in their data center.

I don't know much about your mac problem. I use OSX Lion and have Linux in Virtualbox.

For your updates, anything could happen in your case. Its not the typical dual boot or single boot. I would guess you would be OK, but backup EVERYTHING on you MAC. first before you try.

Warm Regards,
Bryan

Another thing about Virtualbox is that you can try many different OS's without any install. I know lots of Linux CD's are Live now, but some aren't and some OS's like Windows is never going to be a Live CD.