Galleycat Book Club Message Board › First Meetup

First Meetup

Heather
user 12761572
Group Organizer
Louisville, KY
Hello everyone!
I am so glad that so many of you came to last night's first meetup.  For those of you that missed, we discussed the format of the group, chose our first book and worked out a way to pick the best day for future meetups.
We will be meeting once a month, and our first book is going to be Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie!  After I have selected the best time to meet, I will post the new meetup event.  I anticipate our next meeting will be sometime in the first week of June.
In order to select the best time, I am using an online scheduling tool called Doodle.  To accommodate anyone's requests for the best time to meet, I will need you to provide me with an e-mail address so I can send you the scheduling request via doodle.  If you wish to keep your email address private, you may send me a private e-mail with your preferred days/times to meet at my gmail account: hmgillispie@gmail.com­ and I will add those preferences into the poll.  Unfortunately, we may come across some conflicts, but I am hoping to pick a day and time that suits the majority of the group.
Constance and Maria provided me with a great way to select future books.  Every month, we will have a new person nominate three books of their choosing.  My main guidelines for choosing these three books is that you try to select books that you find interesting, books that you feel will generate discussion, and books that are in some way thought provoking or literary.
Once those books have been selected, we will use the Poll feature here on meetup to vote on which book we would like to read next as a group.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me and ask.  I am super excited for our first official book meeting!
Thank you all!
Heather Gillispie