In addition to being Mother's Day, May 11 is also CycloFemme, Global Women's Cycling Day! Goals of the day include:
• To honor the past and the emancipation of our grandmothers and great-grandmothers, for the freedom to choose and the chance to wear pants.
• To celebrate the present and the riders who keep it rolling, bringing women's racing to the forefront, pushing the limits, breaking down barriers and sharing the love of the bike with everyone along the way.
• To empower the future of women in cycling and the opportunity for positive social change. Encourage women to ride and they will change the world.
Join the Gals for a bike ride on roads you might use for a commute, shopping or errands -- though on a Sunday when the traffic will be lighter.
Meetup behind the Bandshell at the Music Concourse in Golden Gate Park (where bike rental is available). We'll ride east through the Park and the Panhandle, continue east on the Oak Street bike lane, take the Wiggle to Market Street, turn south onto Valencia and go to about 24th Street. We'll return via Valencia, with a swing by Dolores Park, through the Wiggle to the Panhandle and then to our starting point in Golden Gate Park.
• Distance: About 9 miles, relatively flat.
• We ride at a relaxed pace and will not leave anyone behind.
• RSVP required. Helmet and basic riding skills required.
• The route is on multi-use paths and roads with or without a bike lane.
• Rain cancels. Will send a message via Meetup if we cancel to those who RSVP for this ride.
• Bring your questions -- Anything you want to know about biking? No question is too basic -- probably other Gals will have the same question!
We are grateful for all the good work of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition to improve conditions for bicycling in San Francisco. We encourage you to check out their work and join. You can join at a ride for $35 for a one-year membership.