Jonathan
user 79118432
Yonkers, NY
Post #: 1
I just wanted to share this, since i've had both good and bad luck ordering seeds and plants through the mail over the years.

So far the most reliable and diverse seed catalog I've found is Fedco Seeds from Waterville, Maine. Their website is www.fedcoseeds.com­ but their catalog is something special all by itself. It's like the "Farmer's Almanac" of seed catalogs. It's printed on newsprint, no photos, but plenty of the most beautiful line drawings, engravings, and illustrations that look like they were pulled from turn-of-the-century literature. It's also full of experiences and testimonials from people who write in about specific seeds they tried from the catalog. They have charts for how long seeds will keep by species, days 'til harvest for each seed, tips on preventing certain garden pests, a bit of history as to where certain varieties or hybrids came from and who was responsible for cultivating them and when. It's a wealth of knowledge. In fact I sprout a few extra brain cells each time I read the catalog, and it's the kind of catalog that you hate to throw away because it's useful even when you don't order anything. You can really see the care and time the authors put into each individual seed description.

The catalog request number is (207)426-0090 so all I can say is call them up and request a catalog and you won't be disappointed. You'll find everything in it you've ever wanted to grow, thought about growing, or never would've thought of growing from herbs to wildflowers to potatoes & roots to natural dyes to grapes and fruit trees. I'm sitting here trying to decide on what seeds to get and it's like when I was 4 years old going to Toys R' Us for the first time, I don't know where to look first.

Anyway I couldn't make it to the St. Pat's meetup but I just wanted to share the above info while it was still early in the season, in case anyone (like myself) still had a need for seeds.

- Jonathan
(PS- No, I don't work for the company, lol.)
Monica F.
user 73155002
Group Organizer
Peekskill, NY
Post #: 3
Thanks for this info. The catalogue sounds beautiful.