Geek Nite Out Message Board Geek Night Out News › What Type of Events are You Looking for?

What Type of Events are You Looking for?

Closed to new replies

Carrie
user 20504891
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Welcome everyone to GNO! Originally created because there just are not enough groups for people that flock to geek culture.

I'd like to get a feel for the type of events you all are interested in as well as what type of events you are looking to avoid!

I'll start this off by listing some future events:

• Movie Night - a day of the week, possibly Friday or even a day time marathon of selected movies from the sci-fi and fantasy genre
  • Trivia Nights - this will occur every Tuesday but, if there are more Geek trivia nights feel free to suggest events
  • Comic book store events (natl. comic book day, signings, etc)

Possible Events:

• Happy Hours
  • Con trips - I would like to be able to get a group to go to BCC and NYCC this year

What type of conventions, besides Sci-fi, Gaming and Comic Books are people looking to go to? I know that there are a lot of other conventions on the horizon - and I do not want to exclude anyone.
Matthew B.
Maverick-Knight
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 145
I'm a gaming, literature, and Lego geek, so I tend to be interested in anything related to those. The problem for me is that I'm handicapped (usually wheelchair, but I can walk with a cane) and restricted by the type of location as well as how I'm feeling. Noisy locations are also a problem, as I'm mildly deaf.

Don't forget Katsucon here in DC; I'm not really an anime guy, but it's a very popular convention. There's also Otakon in Baltimore.

The BrickFair Lego Convention at the Dulles Expo center would also be a big draw for geeks. Seriously, go around and count the references you see in the art displays. Doctor Who, Mass Effect, comic books and superheroes, WoW, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, and so on. I'll be displaying there myself.

I'll also be displaying at the National Air and Space Museum, celebrating Discovery's arrival in the collection. There will be Lego displays for both NASA-related and sci-fi models, at both NASM locations (on the Mall in DC and out at the Dulles Annex).