Geeknight Dallas Message Board › Paper referenced by Channel 9 video (Chapter 4)

Paper referenced by Channel 9 video (Chapter 4)

R. J.
RHJensen
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 4
Phil Wadler "Theorems for free!" paper

http://ttic.uchicago....­

Disclaimer -- Greg does not seem to as enamored of this paper as holiday reading.

Richard
Greg H.
scsibug
Plano, TX
Post #: 1
It's a good paper, but it's a bizarre thing to recommend to someone learning Haskell. If you aren't familiar with the TaPL book, that paper won't be readable. Instead, read some of the other papers by Wadler below... he's a *fantastic* writer.

Here are some really good papers that are informative and can be appreciated by both beginners and advanced functional programmers.

"An Angry Half-Dozen", Philip Wadler
6 examples of functional programming done "in anger" (for serious, commercial purposes). (dated, but still interesting)

"Why no one uses functional languages", Philip Wadler
(Good and bad) reasons why functional programming isn't "the default". (dated, but still interesting)

"Imperative Functional Programming", Simon Peyton Jones, Philip Wadler
How monads neatly solve the problem of interaction with functional programs.

"Why Functional Programming Matters", John Hughes
How laziness and higher-order functions provide superior "glue" for writing modular applications.

"A History of Haskell: being lazy with class", Paul Hudak, John Hughes, Simon Peyton Jones, Philip Wadler
http://research.micro...­
This paper is a wonderful unique story about how Haskell came about. There is a video presentation as well that is excellent. This paper was highly anticipated, and I couldn't put it down until I finished it.

"Conception, Evolution, and Application of Functional Programming Languages", Paul Hudak
(This appears to be the inspiration for much of the PL history lesson that appears in the lecture videos...)

Those papers are more about the "why" of FP, instead of some of the more obscure tricks (like generating theorems from type signatures), so I think they'd be much better suited anyone learning Haskell.