Georgetown Texas Aquaponics & Sustainable Farming Group Message Board › Compost tea on potted orange trees.

Compost tea on potted orange trees.

PKL
user 90871122
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 2
Just a note that I've had three orange trees in large pots for several years and they survive and even bear a few oranges every other year or so. I've started making compost tea a couple months ago using the biosome, molasses, water soluble iron and epsom salt with just air stones to aerate. Anyway the trees always looked weak no matter what I put on them, yellowish and curled leaves, on one all the time. Now that I'm adding the above brew to them they all look really strong and growing new leaves/stems all over with no curled yellow leaves either.
Bob H.
user 16476321
Group Organizer
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 4
That is great to hear, I have seen such a change in my plants using compost tea it's like having a completely new garden. I keep a 30 gallon barrel brewing all the time and I weekly treat my plants and AP system with it.
It is like taking your garden from High School Football to the NFL level almost over night.
kathy
kstimets
Austin, TX
Post #: 24
Hi there! New to the group. I also have a couple of orange "trees" in large pots, and they look just like that - yellowing leaves. Can you please give the exact proportions of the ingredients you are using? thanks so much!
kathy
PKL
user 90871122
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 3
Good morning,
Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't signed in for a while. My brew at the time ( I think ) was thirty gallons of water, some of which was sediment from the bottom of my AP raft system. In this I used one TBSP biozome, one TBSP molasses, 2 TBSP water soluble iron, and 4 TBSP epsom salt. I just had 6 airstones in the bottom bubbling for three days. I put a little more than a quart of this brew on each potted tree. I made a new brew about every 10 days and repeat the quart on each orange tree. I can't remember how soon I saw improvement but it was soon enough to be impressed and the trees have continued to add new branches and leaves and look great. I've always had the orange trees (only 4 foot tall for years) on automatic drip waterer every other day in the summer but just once a week during the winter and that's the same now so I'm sure the compost tea is the difference. I heard on the Central Texas Gardening program just last month that Iron is very important to citrus so make sure the iron and epsom salt is in your mix.
Hope this is helpful, PKL
ps: Two weeks ago I planted one satsuma orange in my aquaponic gravel bed and it looks fine. No new growth yet but this is probably best for this time of year.