Let's meet and talk geo!

We will hold our first meeting at Galvanize in Denver. Show up from 6pm onwards for drinks and socializing, the program will start at 6:30pm. We'll have three 10-15 minute talks and discuss ideas for the format and topics for future events.

Speakers for the first event will be:

Nate Irwin on some of the digital mapping projects the National Park Service is working on, including how open source has changed the way that the Park Service builds its maps.

Jim McAndrew will talk about how the United States Geological Survey (USGS) is using the OpenStreetMap platform to crowdsource information for their geographic names database.  He will discuss how the information is used and verified as well as how the public can use the information generated by the project.

Peter Batty will talk about developing web mapping applications for utilities and telecom companies, including experience with helping recovery from Hurricane Sandy, and a discussion of various technology options including Leaflet, Google Maps, GeoServer, and PostGIS.

Join or login to comment.

  • Mubarik Masih Michael

    what are the basics of geography thoughts

    December 3

  • Steven Nichols

    Great Meetup Thursday night. Thanks Peter and company for putting that together. Jimmy and Nate, those were great presentations. I'm looking forward to the next one.

    May 6

  • Mike Pack

    Nice format, venue and crowd.

    May 3

  • Jimmy

    I have uploaded the slides from my talk on how the USGS is using VGI to Google Docs, you can access the presentation here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0...­

    May 3

  • Nate Irwin

    Here's a link to my slides: http://www.nps.gov/npmap/slides...­. It was great meeting you all last night!

    May 3

  • Jordan Parfitt

    Good presentations

    May 3

  • Christopher Rice

    And of course Nate, my bad. Have a great weekend everyone.

    May 2

  • Christopher Rice

    Thanks again Peter & Jason, you guys are great at getting geos together. Look forward to the future of our meetups. If theres anything I can do please don't hesitate. Also, I will make sure I communicate this to the Rogues group (The RNO is Wed, June 5th @ Fado Pub ~5:30-8pm)

    May 2

  • Shilo Rohlman

    Also bummed that it's on DenverJS meetup.

    April 30

    • Peter Batty

      Tom pointed that out too, sorry about that. We will try to get an ongoing time that avoids obvious conflicts, though it's a bit tricky with so many meetups out there!

      May 2

  • Tabatha

    Sorry, I just found out about this today, but I'm definitely up for future opportunities to meet you all.

    May 2

  • andrei

    Can't make it tonight, will try next time.

    May 2

  • Tamee

    Looking forward to meeting everyone!

    May 1

  • Martin May

    Bummed to miss it :(

    May 1

  • Steven Nichols

    I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and talk about GIS.

    April 24, 2013

  • Dave B

    Figured out a place yet ?

    April 24, 2013

  • Tom Flaherty

    Date conflict with DenverJS lightning talk.

    April 24, 2013

  • Jimmy

    This looks like it'll be fun!

    April 22, 2013

  • Tom Flaherty

    Great idea.

    March 31, 2013

People in this
Meetup are also in:

illustration

There are 16 million people on Meetup

When you start a Group, Meetup invites like-minded people in your area to join.

Start a Meetup Group

Log in

Not registered with us yet?

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy