Introduction to Web Concepts
Wednesday, May 8th – 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Sponsored by Groupon
Not sure how the Internet works?
Want to build a cool website, but can’t decide what language to use
Tired of techies throwing around acronyms that make your head spin?
In this class, we will walk through the fundamentals of web development in layman terms. While we won't be writing code, we'll take you through various components of the web and how they work together. If you want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team or friends, this course is for you. Topics include but are not limited to:
- What is the World Wide Web?
- Where are web site files generally stored?
- What is the difference between a client and a server?
- Which programming languages are compiled on a server and which are compiled in a web browser?
- What do you need to know before building a web site?
- What language should you use and what are the differences?
- What tools do you need to develop a web site?
- Who does what on a typical web development team?
- What is Web 2.0 and the Cloud?
Course Cost: $20.00
Note: Please provide your full name when registering for this class to gain access to the building.
I'm sure there's no need to introduce Groupon to you -- you've probably used one of our great deals. What you probably don't know is some of the cool things that we're working on in-house. From our flagship Groupon site down to our new Breadcrumb POS system, Groupon is brimming with opportunity. And with our world class engineering and design teams in Chicago, Palo Alto, and Berlin, we're gearing up to make a new Groupon a reality.