This WordPress course runs for two days on Saturday, September 28th and Sunday, September 29th from 12:45pm to 5pm.
This class is for intermediate WordPress users with a HTML/CSS skill set who want to learn how to build custom themes for WordPress.
We'll cover the following:
Day 1 - Intro to Wordpress themes, Child Themes, Starter Themes and Theme Templates: You'll leave with an understanding of how WordPress themes work, how to find and install them, how to safely modify them and how to create theme templates.
Day 2 - Building Theme Functionality: You'll learn how to build theme functionality such as: widgetized areas, custom widgets, menu areas and custom post types. There will be project time at the end of day 2 to work on themes and answer specific questions.
• Intermediate or higher level WordPress user (stand alone install, NOT WordPress.com)
• Strong familiarity with HTML/CSS (PHP a plus, but not required)
• Ability to use a text editor to edit code
Please come to class with:
• A laptop
• A locally or remotely hosted sandbox WordPress site to play around with
• Your favorite text editor
• Graphics editing software (optional)
About Tracy Levesque, our Instructor:
Tracy Levesque is a co-owner of YIKES, Inc., a Philadelphia web design and development company located in Fishtown. She has been designing websites since 1996 and working with WordPress since 2006. She spends her days building custom themes for WordPress and seeing how much functionality she can add without knowing PHP. When not wrangling HTML and CSS, Tracy rides bikes, eats sushi, chases her 7 year old daughter and takes pictures of abandoned buildings.