So you learned how to code, now what?
Joining a startup allows you to gain new experiences and provides you the opportunity to work on fun and challenging projects.
Join Marina Rakhlin, to learn more about how to get a job at a startup, how to negotiate the terms of your contract and what to expect once you are on board of the startup roller coaster!
In this session, we will cover the following topics:
• What to expect working at a startup: Is joining a startup the right next step for you personally and professionally
• How to look for the right startup: Understand when is the right time to join a company; what comes with different life stages of a company, from seed funded to series X, to pre-IPO.
• Starting a company vs. joining a startup as well as startup terminology
• How to recruit: Where to look for startup opportunities, how to sell your skills to a startup, how is this process different from corporate recruiting
• How to manage your offer: Demystifying stock, understanding equity, vesting schedule, stock price and contract terms
This class is for technical as well as non-technical professionals looking to join a startup, as well as for startup founders playing the HR role and curious about what applicants are looking for by joining a startup.
This class will include both presentation and a 30-minute Q&A, so bring a notepad to take notes and any questions you would like to discuss!
From Past Participants:
"Your class seriously shifted my approach to applying for jobs. Within two weeks I had scored two interviews, and today I received an offer from a local startup!"
"I can't emphasize enough how much your advice changed my approach to this interview. Instead of talking about expertise, I talked about indispensability and flexibility. I made it a point to speak to each interviewer about my layperson programming knowledge and personal coding projects."
Marina Rakhlin has always been drawn to exciting world of startups, working in technology management from pre-IPO Silicon Valley players to early stage social enterprises. After getting her MBA from the Wharton Business School, Marina was the first employee to join a fashion analytics startup Stylitics and is currently working as a Product Manager at a fast growing local company Monetate. Connect with her on Twitter at @marina_rakhlin.