This class is for beginners who want to use WordPress as an easy, fast way to set up a blog or a website. We’ll guide you step-by-step through all the basic aspects of WordPress development including:
- How you can work on your site before you spend money on hosting
- Understanding the administration area and manage your site easily with Wordpress' friendly user interface
- Installing themes to change your site's design quickly and easily
- Using widgets & plugins to extend the functionality of your site
- Learning how a theme 'works' and how you can update it on your own to customize the look and feel of your site
This WordPress course runs for four classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7pm to 9pm. The class dates are as follows:
- Class 1, Intro to Wordpress and Installation: Tuesday, January 17th
- Class 2, Administration and Managment: Thursday, January 19th
- Class 3, Widgets, Plugins, Themes: Tuesday, January 24th
- Class 4, Customizing Themes and Publishing Your Site: Thursday, January 26th
Prerequisites: A basic understanding of HTML/CSS and PHP is helpful but NOT necessary.
A little about Pam Selle, our Instructor: When I was younger, I thought the internet was basically the coolest thing ever. I’ve been working in the web world for approximately 3 years and build websites with Wordpress in my day job. I’m getting involved in GDI because I think others should experience the fun of seeing something YOU made appear on the web. In my spare time, I practice/teach yoga, ride my bicycle, and am involved with the Girl Geek Dinner Social Committee. You can find me on Twitter at @pamasaur.
Transportation: Drexel is right by the Market-Frankford line. Alternatively, parking is available at the Drexel Garage on 34th and Market for $7. For more options & directions, please see http://earlemacklaw.drexel.edu/about/directions.
Follow us on Twitter & like us on Facebook for the latest updates on our classes and tech resources.