Girl Develop It Philadelphia Message Board › Planning GirlDevelopIt's 1st Anniversary Party - Recap

Planning GirlDevelopIt's 1st Anniversary Party - Recap

Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 19
Thanks to those of you that made it out Tuesday night! We came up with a lot of exciting and fun ideas for the party. I put together a recap of what we covered for those who couldn't make it. The items with (?) are those that need ownership. If you'd like to volunteer, shoot me an email at myasmine at gmail dot com.

We're going to start by determining the date for the party. Right now we're looking at mid-Sept. I'll send a poll with potential days/times shortly. Wil Reynolds of SEER offered his "SEO Church" location which can hold 250 people - more to come on that soon. It will take place on a weeknight and the dress will be business casual. The poll will also include a survey for members with questions on how GDI has helped them get a raise/job/etc. We're going to beautify the data and display it at the party.

We're going to have a mini expo area where members can display the sites/programs they've built and showcase it for everyone. We're also going to work on getting a photobooth (Gloria) and a DJ (me). Sarah Henry is going to see if her tattoo artist friend would be interested in making custom temporary tattoos for us. If you have ideas for other sources of entertainment, definitely let me know.

In terms of food/drinks, we want to provide something filling, vegan-friendly and cheap (if possible). Jenn suggested Bitars. We could use someone to take ownership of this (?). Sarah Henry has a friend that can make vegan cupcakes and Rushika is going to look at places where we can get a birthday cake. We're also going to have beer and feature a few GDI-inspired speciality drinks. An HTML cocktail maybe as an example (honey, tequila, x and lemonade for instance - send us your ideas). (?)

Jenn Lukas and Allison Wagner and are going to put a simple site together to display information about the party. We're going to reach out to sponsors to cover food and beer. Gloria is going to put sponsorship materials to send to local businesses and we could use everyone's assistance in spreading the word and raising money - anything from $100 and up. Stay tuned for that.

The party will open to signification others and a donation of an attendees choosing will be accepted as payment. These will go towards a GirlDevelopIt Scholarship fund for unemployed women to take our classes or TechGirlz. We'll figure this out in the next few weeks.

I think that was everything. We'll host another Meetup in a couple of weeks once the most important logistics (like date and place) have been determined.

This is going to be fun - I can't wait!
A former member
Post #: 2
I can offer a location for the next meeting if you don't mind coming out to University City! Also, if we can meet a little earlier, it would be better for me as I work in the city but live in the burbs.

I'm open to helping with the food planning, although I would like to do it with at least one other person. I'll talk to my org about sponsorship too.
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 26
Everybody, we're confirmed for Thurs, Sept 13th at SEER Interactive so save the date. I'll have another Meetup posted soon!
lisa
user 15640101
Lawrence Township, NJ
Post #: 14
can I add the save the date to the Philly Women in Tech website calendar?
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 28
We're now on for Sept 27.

Lisa - yes, please save the date. Thank you!
R F.
user 36247672
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Yasmine,
I believe someone was setting up an area for us to store docs we need to share with the group (I think someone mentioned Google docs?) Can you let me know the location?

I have done some research regarding bakeries but there are several questions that require decisions from the group before we can decide. I can store question+bakery list in the shared area so the group can take a look.

Thanks
Rushika
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 32
Hey Rushika, I'll set it up this week! Feel free to send me your questions at myasmine at gmail dot com. Thanks for following up!