addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Girl Develop It Philadelphia Message Board › Would you take a Product Management class?

Would you take a Product Management class?

Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 24
I was talking to a potential teacher yesterday who's interested in leading a Product Management class. That is, setting a vision for the product, communicating it with your team, creating a plan to implement it, managing different members (including virtually), solving problems that arise and so on. It's managing the project from start to finish to launch a new release, site, program, etc.

I think this would be a great addition to our coursework, especially since we've had a few classes coding classes and it's a skill necessary for most jobs.

Before we start devising an outline and a curriculum, I want to hear from you. Is this something you'd be interested in learning? What would you want to get out of it?
Consuelo Del P.
user 18790681
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
That sounds pretty cool. I'd be even more interesting if the focus was in something web related. But either way it sound like an interesting topic.
Lauren G.
laurengalanter
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 6
Yes, definitely. I think classes on "soft" skills are just as important as code.
Anne P
user 47943862
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 3
I am interested.
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 29
Thanks for chiming in ladies.

Lauren - you said it perfectly. As we're learning how to code, we have to prepare for the new job skills that will be required and part of that will be managing the project and product.

For those interested, some questions to ponder:
-How would you use this at your current job? Is it a skill you'd like for a new position?
-What about managing a release of a site is the toughest to execute? Or the one you don't look forward to the most?
-How much of this workshop should be about managing people? I'm inclined to have 75% of the lecture focus on this as it's the most important in my opinion.
Lindsey S.
user 48683292
Brea, CA
Post #: 1
Yazmine - I am definitely interested in this and would love to take this class. That said, here are my brief responses to your questions

1) I am currently working on the acceptance of a new product, and this would help me understand some of the problems the PD group faces. Specifically, our product is incredibly complicated, and the product testing has not gone very smoothly, so my group is encountering many issues in the user acceptance stage (which is bad).
2) n/a (never built a site before...)
3) Managing people is an art - this is not easy to do when you too are learning how to manage a prodcut. Therefore, I think a decent amt of this lecture should be about managing people and expectations.
Diana Fanelli B.
user 31978042
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Ladies, While Product Management is a great skill set, it is not a "soft skill." I have been in Product Management /Development of most of my career. If you are interested in developing your soft skills, read my blog " Soft Skills for Girl Geeks (and Everyone Else): http://bit.ly/MkHZYF...­