Girl Geek Dinners (Boulder/Denver) Message Board Mentor Mash › Plans for Mentor Mash

Plans for Mentor Mash

Freya L.
user 59222262
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hi gang,

As some of you may have remembered from our last get together, I'm working on putting together a Mentor Mash with our lovely friends over at CWIT. To that end - plans are coming together - but now I need feedback from you! Our plans for this event would be to pull together our Girl Geeks with the CWIT women and create opportunities for these senior level management/executives to mentor you in a variety of areas. The question is - what areas are you seeking? What we're envisioning is creating some mentoring categories so mentees and mentors can easily find one another.

Some possible categories would be:

• Software specific (list the software you need a little help on)
  • Hardware specific (list the hardware you need a little help on)
  • Another technology or platform that doesn't fit in the categories above
  • Navigating a male dominated arena as a woman
  • Successfully managing a team
  • Learning soft skills (people skills, marketing, business development etc.)
  • Business issues, corporate culture, market intelligence
  • Any other categories or ideas you have here.....

Please send over your thoughts, either off the list above or if you have additional thoughts and ideas. I will compile a master document and float it over to the ladies at CWIT and we'll figure out the categories that have the most interest as well as available mentors.

We are planning this event for the fall, but I would appreciate feedback sooner rather then later so we can plan and ensure we can get people on our schedule.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Freya
A former member
Post #: 1
Freya,

This sounds great! I am graduating with a marketing degree in the spring so some mentoring in marketing would be wonderful. I currently work in a technical position and would also love help learning some programming languages so I love this idea.

Thank you so much for putting this together,

Michele
Freya L.
user 59222262
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
Thanks Michele for your response - are there any specific programming languages you are interested in - or just the general topic of programming? Do you want to learn programming, or want to know how to work with programmers and talk the talk a bit, but not necessarily know all of the details?

Freya
Laura
user 10433416
Littleton, CO
Post #: 7
I am interested in mentoring and/or being a mentee for:

• software specific : web development (rails, html/css, js)
  • general career building and navigating
  • open to other things, too...

Let me know if there's anything I can help out with!
Laura
Amanda
agrussell
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
I'd be interested in being a mentee in any of the following:

- Navigating a male dominated arena as a woman
- Successfully managing a team
- Web design/dev trends and how to know what's valuable with your skillset
- Technical interviewing
- JavaScript / SASS/ LESS
Vui N.
user 13820253
Denver, CO
Post #: 41
I'd be interested in having a mentor-mentee relationship where I can offer the following:
- mentoring on cross platform mobile development (Android, iOS using Titanium)

and in return, I'd like to learn from someone who can be my business mentor for a mobile app that I'm currently building, or a back-end web developer who can guide me on how to build the back-end web services for my mobile app.

Thanks!