Girl Geek Dinners Philadelphia Message Board › Today's the day! Donate to TechGirlz and give them a chance to win more money!

Today's the day! Donate to TechGirlz and give them a chance to win more money!

A former member
apologies in advance if you've received an email similar to this from us or another group. we're doing our best to be sure everyone is aware and may overlap some!

Hello everyone! Today is the day...  TechGirlz, a local organization that offers STEM programs for 6-8 grade girls, is participating in Razoo's contest to win money for their organization. Yasmine from GirlDevelopIt Philly has already written a nice post about it and I am super swamped so I'm going to just pass along her note. ;)

There's an online contest Razoo is running for charitable organizations today. The point is to find the America's most generous cities by seeing how many donate to a specific cause.

Gloria Bell started a page for TechGirlz. If you haven't heard of it, it's a non-profit that empowers middle school girls to get into technology. I'm involved with the group and we run monthly events focused on making tech fun. E.g. I lead a session on how to start a blog. Past sessions included how to make a 3D game (wish I would have been able to attend that one), using Scratch which teaches programming and learning how to podcast.

I didn't get involved in this field until I turned 25 and I wish I would have had a program like TechGirlz to get me into it sooner. It would have helped me with my last Company, with my current job and who knows what else.

What impact would an organization like this had on you?

I'm sending some information on the cause. I donated $10 a little bit ago (the cost of two Starbucks lattes) and shared it on my social networks (According to the site, it increases donations by 18%). If you'd like to help and do the same, today is the day! We're up to $4900 as of this post. Find out more on the Razoo page here.

Thanks in advance.

-Yasmine

This is a great chance to support an organization that supports our young sisters-in-tech! If you can, please consider donating and spreading the word. (If you can't donate, please spread the word!)

Also, TechGirlz is always looking for volunteers and folks interested in hosting classes/programs for them. Give them a holler if you are interested. :)

/tristin