Emma K.
user 99855852
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 2
Yay, it looks like there's interest in a book group! I was in a group for 6 years and I loved it so much. The woman who started it was a veteran of another book group and seemed to have a lot of the logistics down cold. Here are some of my takeaways from that group:

-Meeting every six weeks allows a good amount of time to finish the book
-Finishing the book is absolutely not a requirement
-Host leads the discussion and provides snacks & wine (or other beverages but books & wine just seem to go together)
-The person up next to host brings book suggestions to the meeting and we vote at the meeting for the next book
-It's nice to choose books at least 6-12 months old, as they're available in the library and can be bought more cheaply than new releases

I thought we could brainstorm some book ideas and once we decide on something, I would post the first meeting as a meet-up and whoever wanted to come could join. I'd be happy to host the first meeting, maybe sometime in September.

Ok, book ideas. Here are some books I've loved reading in recent months/years:

-Olive Kitteredge by Elizabeth Strout
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler
-Red Moon by Benjamin Percy
-Affinity by Sarah Waters
-The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
-The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
-Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Here are some on my list to read (that may or may not be good for a book group):

-Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
-The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
-A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead
-Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
-Them: Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson
-The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker

Maybe others could post book ideas here, or let me know if any of the above pique your interest. We might want to go with something on the shorter/more accessible side for the first book. I'm really looking forward to getting a group going, and I welcome any of your ideas about books or logistics!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi! So, I'm new to this group and have just been clicking around, checking things out. I'm not sure if the book group came together, but that is something that I would be interested in if it did! :)