align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Golden Ruby Users Group Message Board › September GRUG: Hands-on Ruby!!

September GRUG: Hands-on Ruby!!

Dan S.
Danimal451
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
GRUGgers!

In September we are going to roll with the Domain-Driven Design concept (the talk from August) and do some hands-on Ruby coding!

We will spend the GRUG meeting splitting into pairs/triplets and working on some sample DDD apps in Ruby.

In the next week, I'll send out more detailed instructions as we get the github repos into shape. This is just the teaser to get you all excited about the meetup!

Two of the apps we will offer as "playgrounds" for the GRUG meeting:

1) the "sample app" that Paul Rayner presented on this past GRUG. It's functional but still has lots of areas where it can be enhanced.

2) a domain-driven ruby app to manage camping (for outdoorsie folks like myself). This is my "pet project" that I just started a month ago. It is a domain-centric app but only just begun, so it's not functional and needs a lot more work.

3) ??? <- Not sure if we need a third idea, but we welcome any suggestions someone might have. The goal is to have an app or concept and drive it out using DDD concepts... i.e. focus first on the domain as a 1st-class part of the app.

The goal is to have these two or three apps provide different levels of involvement, difficulty and completeness. People can choose where and how they want to dive in.

If you are itching to get right to it and poke around, here are #1 and #2:

https://github.com/pa...­
and
https://github.com/gr...­

We will add additional guidance, information and some bootstrapping info soon.

It's gonna be fun!

-Dan cool