Good Food Gwinnett Message Board › What's in your garden?

What's in your garden?

Carla
user 10382920
Grayson, GA
Post #: 1
I won't pretend to be something I'm not. I don't garden very well or much at all. Truth be told, I'm afraid of worms, but the country girl in me knows the value of freshly grown food, so I had my husband throw me a small raised bed garden together a few years back. I'm running late even planting it this year. Not sure what I'll plant other than some tomatos, collards and peppers. Last year, the squash grew so wild and big that they took over other things.

So, what are you planting this year? Have you gotten started?

Terri Taylor T.
user 5472456
Suwanee, GA
Post #: 19
This wet weather had made getting started a challenge, but I have plenty of starts inside the house, waiting for warm, sunny days to arrive: bell peppers, tomatoes, ground cherries, melons, cucumbers, rosemary, bay tree, probably more. I'm running out of shelf space!

Enjoying leafy eating from what I planted in the fall: cilantro, kale, parsley, and lots of lettuce.
Alicia
user 12930810
Lilburn, GA
Post #: 78
I've been growing organic for about 20 years. I've got a year round garden. I was so surprised to have the lettuce & spinach survive this winter, but the snow acted like a blanket from the cold winds, so they did fine. Just came back from being out of town and see that some are starting to grow stalks to go to seed.

As for summer stuff, I've started a little earlier this year - as I'm usually late. I'm about to put out a couple of zucchini grown indoors from seed. I had bad luck with squash last year and was told to start early to avoid bug problems, so I hope I'm doing better this year. Then I've got my usual 18 Pompeii tomato plants indoors right now that we grow to make sauce, and eat through the summer. I don't bother much with other tomatoes since I find these to be dual purpose. I've got a couple jalepeno growing from last years seed, and some basil and cilantro. Then I'll probably buy a few other plants and plant cucumber and beans direct from seed.

Bella
user 4627451
Dacula, GA
Post #: 139
Oh Alicia, your garden sounds fantastic. I would love to pick your brain a bit on growing these things inside. Hopefully you can give me all your tips, to start my very own.

The only thing I have going on now, is a pineapple, lol. Although it will probably be 3 years before I get to eat that, IF it ever creates a fruit.

I hope to start a mini garden this year. Something simple, any advice for me?

Hugs,

Bella :)
Mary B.
user 72446542
Lawrenceville, GA
Post #: 2
Hi Everyone, I just joined this group!

I've been in Gwinnett for almost 3 years and am enjoying our Zone 7. This past fall, I started constructing a more permanent kitchen garden: had a contractor auger and set posts that I'm building raised beds, 2 mini pergolas, and a gate onto. I'm "bunny-proofing" as I go and it will also be a no-dog zone (unless I invite our dog through the gate). Okay, cool...

Now that it's warming up, I'll continue with my building the raised bed "boxes" and hauling in good soil.

I've got collards, spinach, Chinese cabbage and passion fruit vines, plus a separate herb garden, growing now. I've started adding fruit trees this spring: 2 plums, 2 persimmons, 3 European pears (espaliered to one side of the kitchen garden, so they'll take years to train and bear fruit), and have edible kiwi and rhubarb roots on order for April. I'll be planting all the usual veggie suspects later this spring, either directly from seed or from seedlings, which I'm late in starting.

Bella, there's a good book out there, titled something like Starter Vegetable Gardens; Barnes & Noble and the Lawrenceville Public Library have it. It has some great ideas on starting small and keeping it frugal. I used some of the ideas for my first 2 summers here so my family could have home-grown veggies easily while we were getting settled. Good luck! --- Mary
Dianne N.
user 8035838
Mount Dora, FL
Post #: 4
I am really excited about being able to talk with other organic growers. I'm just getting started so I need all the input I can read. I have had huge yard problems the last two years. I have one spot, that used to be a rose garden that has never been sprayed, so I will begin my gardening there.