Dan, I agree with some of the statements, fewer probably than you because I'm a vegetarian & don't believe in killing animals for food, unless in emergency situations. I also think that generally guns in the hands of homeowners are often used more against them by the more adept criminals. I also think a humane use of a gun would be to put an injured animal out of its misery if there is no way to treat the animal immediately, hope for recovery & no kinder method is immediately available, like an injection (provided one could get close enough).
Certainly; if I was in the woods & faced with a bear baring down on me & it was either "him or me," I would (if I knew how) use a gun to defend myself. I would hope that I would be wise enough not to put myself IN those situations to start with--not deliberately put myself in "harm's way." I agree not to outlaw the 2nd amendment all together, but to outlaw the use of guns that are used primarily to kill people, such as the assault weapons and "Saturday night specials."
And I do agree that we have to draw the line "somewhere." The arms race for "bigger & bigger guns" -- from the time we could turn a gun into an atom bomb that served to end the 2nd World War also created monstrous cruelty that still exists today -- and scientists unleashed a "monster" that is still in danger of being created by aggressive, amoral powermongers, such as N. Korea & Iran. Violence begats violence.
Yet; we cannot walk stupidly into a gang of thieves/druglords or warlords & expect to be treated with "kid gloves." It IS a complex problem -- & yet there are extremes that are obvious that need to be dealt with now. Pres. Obama's suggestions on curbing gun violence are a good beginning. We need to keep them out of the hands of criminals, mentally ill & potential criminals--that's where background checks come in. Deal with the symptoms while working on the causes of Why? we have such a violent world in the first place. Movies should be rated "X" for violence instead of "bass/ackwards" of "X for positive sexuality. No bare breast ever killed anyone!
Sent: Wednesday, February 20,[masked]:00 PM
Subject: Re: Firearms Refresher Course
Al, I can agree to most of these statements but not all. Since the Constitution was written, up until only recently, the Supreme Court interpreted the Second Amendment as being modified by its reference to a militia, which was the only means of defense we had at the time. There was no U.S. Army for quite some time. A line has to be drawn somewhere; do we draw it at artillery pieces, tanks, atom bombs? The trick is to agree to a reasonable location for the dividing line.
You know, of course, that Western Europe and other Western democracies have much stricter gun laws than are being proposed here, and massively fewer gun murders, or even murders in general. I don't advocate getting rid of the Second Amendment; very few people do, but I think our republic/democracy is stable enough and civilized enough to preclude the need for another revolution. In any case, I can almost guarantee you that if there was one it wouldn't result in a more free country. The demagogues would take over and you'd wind up with either a dictatorship, an oligarchy, or, most likely--a theocracy. A check of Middle Ages history will tell you how well that worked out. --Dan
-----Original Message-----To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;Sent: Wed, Feb 20,[masked]:52 pmSubject: Fw: Firearms Refresher Course
Firearms Refresher Course ... Simple as this!
1. "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~Thomas Jefferson
2. "Those who trade liberty for security have neither." ~ John Adams
3. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
4. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
5. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
6. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.
7. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.
8. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
9. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
10. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
11. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
12. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
13. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
14. What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?
15. Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.
16. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
17. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
PLEASE PASS THIS 'REFRESHER' TO TEN FREE CITIZENS.
"I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of"