Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › butchered two hens today first time it was easy

butchered two hens today first time it was easy

A former member
Post #: 49
I don't what I have been so worried about, fretting over doing the deed, worried I would cut the gallbladder and ruin the meat or just make a mess. It was really easy. We first went to a neighbor who uses a killing cone, but the Cornish Rock hen was to big to fit in the cone. So they slit the neck and let it bleed out. The also have a gadget they made from a u tube video that helps remove the feathers. Well my 76 year old mother in law was with us. When she got home she showed us how she did it. Hold the chicken across a stump pull the neck out as far as you can then whack the head off with a hatchet. Old school method is you then let the chicken flop on the ground. I was really scared to see this but seriously this was not as bad, frightening or as inhumane as I thought it would be. We then dunked it in very hot almost boiling water for around 2 minutes and the feathers just wipe off. A few we had to tug at but most of them just came right off and stuck to our hands. I may wear rubber gloves next time. I snapped the bones on each leg and sawed off the feet. We then removed the craw part from under the neck. This is the pouch they hold food in before digesting further down. In one bird it was filled with grain and corn the other almost empty. We pulled out the wind pipe more of the neck and opened the area up so water would flow through when we finished at the other end. We then opened up the bottom side the same way we did the craw by first pulling up skin and then slicing upward to split the skin. You have to watch for chicken poo and remove it and rinse off the area. I had to work with my hand once inside the back of the bird to loosen the intestines this is the part I was worried about. In between the intestines and the liver is a small green sack the gall bladder if you puncture the gall bladder or the intestines as you are pulling them out the bile will infect the meat. It seemed pretty well wrapped up around the liver and some fat so it all came out all together with a few tugs and pulling it away from the walls of the abdomen. Since we were planning on baking the whole bird we did not cut it up. I had to reach in after removing the intestines and scoop out the lungs on each side attached to the ribs. I then cut the tail piece off oh and before removing the intestines we found a egg in one bird very small. We rinsed the bird several times during this process and now they are both roasting in the oven. Sprinkled with sea salt and some twigs of fresh rosemary and sage. Poured some olive oil over the skin and they smell fantastic.
Jennifer
user 10357377
Denver, CO
Post #: 19
Nice job. I butchered my last 3 ducks and chickens last Friday. I have decided that ducks are easier to gut while chickens easier to pluck. I learned a trick on you tube. Take a1/2 block of paraffin wax per chicken, a who,e one per duck and put it into your water. Dunk the bird, pull a wing feather and when it comes out easily you are ready to pluck. I ran a little cool water on the birds to let the wax harden and it worked well to remove the pin feathers especially for the ducks. I used to take my birds up to Nunnery but the processor has closed.mi did find a farmer in Berthoiud that will process poultry for a small fee, and smaller if you stay to help. I have to say, though I don't enjoy processing it is fairly easy. This year I processed 10 chickens and 4 ducks. Food for winter fom my Urban farm to the freezer.

I purchased two does and a buck, which I will start rotational breeding with next spring. Does anyone have a good hutch plan? I built one but am not sure I like it as much as I thought I would.