Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board New Members › Getting to know everyone....

Getting to know everyone....

A former member
Post #: 2
- What do you hope to get out of this group?
- What are your ideas? I'm not an urban homesteader yet, but have established many urban veggie gardens over the years. I need to build up an area of my yard this month and get some raised bed gardens going. I'm not at all prepared. But ya gotta start sometime.

- How often would you like to meet? Interested in project related work gatherings where we can help each other and learn from each other.

- What area do you live and what are your plans for your yard? I live in Denver in the house of a friend. The friend lives in India and I manage the house. I have permission to put a garden in a south facing side yard. I need first to build a retaining wall then install raised beds. Anyone got some fill dirt yu want to get rid of? I think I need about three or four cubic yards. This does not have to be quality soil. That gets reserved for the raised beds that will go on top of this.

- Are you already an urban homesteader, or just interested in becoming one? Have done a lot of gardening but consider myslef to be the latter. I'm interested in seed propogation, use of hot frames, cold frames, and hoop-houses; interested in year-round gardening; raised bed intensive arrangements rather than row gardening. Interested in crop rotation and composting/soil enrichment. I have raised some hardy varieties of lettuce- planted in November, raised in cold frames, harvested in February- in Denver. But I lost my notes and need to re-identify hardy varieties. In a previous house, I had success planting peas in a low hoop-house in November- they wintered fine and got the earliest possible start in the spring- growing before the snow melted.

- Are you hoping to just supplement some of your income or food budget, or do you really want to go for the whole nine yards of self-sufficiency? For now, the former. Eventually the latter.

I hope to make new friends with similar interests and get hands-on experience with some of the things I've been learning about only in books.

For starters, I'm dying for some real tomatoes!
A former member
Post #: 153
Ed and I would like to be somewhat self-sufficient on our property. He does his welding business from our home and I have a coaching business and we sell chicken and duck eggs. We have chickens and ducks and have raised meat chickens. We want to join with others to share in learning how to be better at homesteading

I think most people could grow some of their own food and broaden their horizon on taking care of themselves and being entrepreneurial and self-sufficient. I believe our life may depend on this and having a core like-minded group is very useful. I am also attached to dentistry (making crowns & bridges) and seeing how the lab business has moved to China we are losing so much money to other countries that we need to be able to have a cohesive group to barter with as we might find ourselves without cash to trade with.

I think a once a week meeting is helpful for organizational, synergistic, and centralizing reasons although with my own group to moderate and other business I couldn’t be at every meeting. A regular meeting creates cohesiveness.

We live in Lakewood with about an acre with a huge barn for Ed’s tools on the property along with a very old pit bull named Bruzzi. Originally we thought our goal was to have a 40 acre self-sufficient farm but became realistic in the realization that we would never be able to move from this property due to Ed’s huge amount of toys, tools and steel for his welding. We want to organize this property better, make an edible yard, and live off our land where we are. We want to make our own beer and wine from the plums we grow. We also want to supplement our electricity with solar and need to know more about this. Lately we have been remodeling our house as we are pretty good at that – we are do-it-yourself about everything and like to barter. I am starting on a greenhouse so we can grow tomatoes year round.

Although I think we need to define urban homesteading here, we consider ourselves such. There is so much to learn yet and we need to know more about energy efficiency to combat this $400 electric bill.

It would be great to be completely self-sufficient and live off our property using every inch of it. I would like to learn more about gardening, having a root cellar, food preservation, alternative energy, having bees, growing more fruit and veggies here year round with a small greenhouse.