Greater Pittsburgh Celiac & Gluten Free Living Meetup Group Message Board › Interesting article... seems we're all just too clean :-)

Interesting article... seems we're all just too clean :-)

Francine K.
Fran_PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 66
Alison F.
user 11538217
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 76
I think he's a little off base.

If we're going to talk about the differences in what babies are exposed to, we need to discuss
1) breastfeeding vs bottle-feeding (breastmilk contains white blood cells, and protective immunoglobulins against every antigen the baby is exposed to within a few hours of exposure)
2) vaccination (today's babies receive 36 doses of vaccines by the age of 18 months, 50 by the time they start kindergarten)
A) injected antigens reach the immune system via bloodstream, triggering a very different immunological reaction than what normal exposure (inhaled or intestinal exposure) would.
B) aluminum adjuvants, mercury-containing thimerosal, and other ingredients have a profound and often uncontrollable effect on the immune system. Adjuvants are there to elicit a stronger response from the immune system against the weakened antigen in the vaccine. But there is no way to control what ELSE the immune system will react more strongly to, including autoimmune activity.

My celiac was clearly triggered when I was an adult, by several vaccines I got in one visit. I had not had problems with gluten before then. The same thing happened several years later to one of my children.

3) Other environmental factors, such as the increased use of pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and other chemicals in our foods. What effect does Subway's use of azodiacarbonamide in their bread have on autoimmune disorders, particularly celiac? How many other food manufacturers use it? What other chemicals are in use that we are not aware of?

What about inhaled chemicals from commercial cleaning supplies and detergents, fabric softeners, air fresheners, etc?

This is NOT just about being too " clean."