addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Marcus
user 12362714
Midhurst, GB
Post #: 1
At the Meetup today I mentioned an idea which has been buzzing round my head for a while, which is for us to have a weekend away together. I'm envisaging staying somewhere quite nice (but hopefully not too expensive!), probably in Spring 2014, for two or three nights. it would be a chance to chill out and spend some relaxed time together, without too much structure, but perhaps with space for people to organise any workshops or activities if they would like to. Probably cooking together, a nice open fire, board games, country walks, or whatever people fancy.

I am happy to try and find a venue, and organise this, but before putting too much leg work in it would be good to gauge whether there is sufficient interest, and to find out how much people would be willing to pay!

So a few questions for you:

• Who would be interested in coming in principle?
  • How much would you be prepared to pay? If I was to look for up to £150 for accommodation for the weekend (plus a food kitty, but we would eat quite cheaply, I imagine, if we were doing out own cooking) would that be realistic for people?
  • Would it be possible to go mid-week? (I'm guessing not, but we would get much better deals on places to stay if we could)
  • How far would people be willing to travel to get there (again we could probably get better deals a bit further away from the South East).

I have some quite exciting ideas about how it could be, but do realise that we are all constrained with finances and work and family etc. so if you let me know what is doable, and I can get some idea of numbers, I will see if I can find something within those constraints!

Marcus
Karen B
KarenBali
Southampton, GB
Post #: 52
Nice idea :) Properties look lovely.
I notice that they seem to be available for a minimum of three nights. Could people maybe 'dip in and out' and pay pro rata if they can't get away for the duration? Also, if they officially 'sleep 8' for example, could we cheat by doubling up or using sofas and sleeping bags? The cost might be difficult for some.... but plenty of notice and some flexibility might help and the more of us there are the cheaper it will be per person.
Mid week would be quite difficult for me at present unless it's in the school holidays, when I know it's more expensive. Only dates that I would not be able to get away in the spring is the weekend of 12th April.
Happy to travel and give lifts.
A former member
Post #: 42
Hi Marcus

Yes I would be interested in principle whether it be a weekend get away or during the week. £150 for accommodation that sounds ok by me & Spring 2014 be good for me April or May. Having a food kitty sounds like a good idea doing our own cooking & I can say I can cook well. With me not having my own transport then travelling within a reasonable distance that's easy to get to by public transport within 100 miles.

What kind of venue are you thinking of?

Mike
Barbara
user 9143876
Group Organizer
Anna Valley, GB
Post #: 275
Sounds very nice, look forward to hearing more about possible venues and so on.....thank you for thinking of this Marcus :)
A former member
Post #: 30
Hi Marcus,

great idea for some sensatives, but what sort of itinerary would you have in place for those HSP's who need space and support with self protection, who would also love to experience this opportunity too, but who often find that spending time in close proximity, sharing a room etc for even a short time, may turn their world upside down and encourage their personal hsp behavioural nuances to get the better of them. And the fact that these nuances, may end up causing further distress and possibly lead to upsets among the group.

How would you propose these situations could be resolved or controlled to enable a variety of Hsp needs to be met whilst on away trips, or would there be other venues designed for specifically for such people to attend?

The cost is fine im sure and certainly realistic, but for some the idea of travel, distance and time may also prove an inbalance in ones desire to attend a function like this.

Sorry to raise these further points but i am assuming this idea is intended to be across the board of a variety of hsp needs and not exclusively limited purely to those who can manage the demands of such a joint effort and journey.

Warm regards, paul

Ps i am interested in this venture too so count me in.
A former member
Post #: 406
Very interested in this idea, and its something I have wanted to suggest for some time. The sustainability centre is the perfect place. It has beautiful countryside around, has an eco lodge to stay in and indoor space for workshops. Or if in summer, we could camp there, plenty of space for campfire etc....keep me in the loop...
Fiona
user 11877929
Winchester, GB
Post #: 68
Hi, I'm interested, and can be weekend or mid week next spring. £150ish sounds fine and perhaps about an hour and half or so from Winchester... It'll be interesting to see what materializes : )
A former member
Post #: 409
Hi Peeps, here is a link to the costs of the Lodge at the Sustainability Centre. Its not very far away for any of us, and is £30 pppn. There are no single rooms, so we would need to choose how we sleep and with whom. It wont be easy to find a place where only single rooms are available methinks, and we may need to get bookings organised pretty swiftly if we are to find somewhere for next year. I know it is difficult for sensitive people to commit to such an event, quickly, and yet I would advise that if we are going to do this, then its important to get it booked firmly asap. Sorry Marcus, I am not trying to take over your idea, just warning you that having worked hard to fix up a weekend of enjoyment before, for this group, it is a tough job to fit in with everyone's needs and make it happen. As Jacquelyn Strickland says, organising events of this kind is like herding cats, when dealing with sensitive people. smile Good luck with the venture and hope it works out. I would enjoy it very much.

Here is a link to a suggestion I made in 2011!!!
Bridget W
user 31529842
London, GB
Post #: 71
Hi Marcus and all,

I think this is a great idea and would be interested. Mid-week would not work so well for me though. Happy to travel and £150 sounds very cheap. I'm sure it would be possible to accommodate everyone's needs and to make the experience enriching for all.
Marcus
user 12362714
Midhurst, GB
Post #: 3
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions!

One more question:

If I were to make that date a bit further away so there is more notice (say late summer) and made it during the school holidays, would that make a midweek date more doable, or would people still need it to be a weekend? I'm just wondering whether, as well as the cost aspect, it might be more relaxing, and feel a bit more 'spacious' to have an extra night, so we don't feel that as soon as we have arrived we have to be getting ready to leave again....