Organic, Edible Gardening in Orange County. Message Board › Square Foot Gardening Meetup is this Saturday

Square Foot Gardening Meetup is this Saturday

GregS
GregStevenson
Group Organizer
Foothill Ranch, CA
<p>Hi, How's it growing?<br /><br />I'm sorry about the confusion getting dates for the meetups. However Feb 26th (this Saturday), Mar 26th, and Apr. 9th dates/topics are confirmed and start at 12 noon. I removed the other meetup dates to avoid confusion. Please<a href="http://www.meetup.com...­ RSVP</a> as soon as possible (either Yes or No) if you are coming this Saturday. It only few seconds and greatly helps me greatly in planning handouts, etc.&nbsp; Don't let the fact that you do not have plans for your garden yet keep you from coming. I'm sure there is still a lot to be learned by all.<br /><br />I updated the site photo with a picture of one of my SFG beds I took this Saturday. I started this bed in January after the rains. It is the first bed where I've used the the official "Mel's Mix" soil. As you can tell from the picture, the plants are doing EXTREMELY WELL. Much bigger, much faster than my plants grown using a 50/50 mix of sandy soil and compost. I've been harvesting a big bowl of greens from it almost every day for about two weeks now.<br /><br />You do not need to use Mel's Mix to do SFG. I know many of you are on a budget and the Mix (whether you buy or make it) is the biggest initial cost in SFG. I'm going to redo/replant a 2' X 4' section of one of my beds with dividers and alternate soils like this:<br /><br />M R M R<br />R M R M<br /><br />where M is a square of Mel's Mix and R is a square of my regular soil/compost mixture. I'll take a picture of the section each week and share the results with with the group. It may help you decide if the cost of Mix is worth it to you or just using what you originally planned is good enough. I would also encourage others to similar A/B comparisons of soils and share their results too.</p><p><br /></p><p>Till Saturday, </p><p>--Greg<br /></p>