addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hacks/Hackers Syracuse Message Board › 3/4: Immersive Journalism using PhaseSpace motion capture

3/4: Immersive Journalism using PhaseSpace motion capture

Dan P.
user 8617837
Manlius, NY
Hi folks,

I think some of you will find this event at Newhouse on Monday, March 4 of interest:
http://newhouse.syr.e...­

It's with journalist and documentary filmmaker Nonny de la Peña. She's bringing out a PhaseSpace Motion Capture system that allows her to sense the movements of people walking around in a room wearing stereoscopic goggles and headphones. As you look up and around, and walk around, your avatar matches your movements. You feel like you have been transported into an event that she's recreated in VR and matched with real audio from the event.

This motion capture system was recently used to animate CG characters in Spider Man and The Hobbit. Unless you walk in Hollywood circles it's unlikely you will be able to see it again any time soon.

Nonny is speaking at 7 p.m. in the Herg auditorium, but throughout the day we will be at my office in Newhouse 2, 494 taking students through the experience. If you have an interest in immersive VR and would like to see the equipment in action please email me (drpacheco@syr.edu) and I will try to find a time for you to observe. We may also add more times for stepping into the experience given how well the setup goes.

Dan Pacheco
Peter A. Horvitz Endowed Chair in Journalism Innovation
S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
Syracuse University