About the place to tinker with Arduinos in - it's the Tel Aviv Hackerspace, TAMI, a hub for makers. Other than the electronics equipment there's woodworking tools, CNC and more.
It's in Kibbutz Galuyot 45, available 24/7 as long as there's someone there - which is usually the case - so just check with the group. Feel free to come, it's not commercial or strict or anything, it's a bunch of geeks making things.
Or come to HaBima plaza this Saturday from 6pm till late, for special demonstrations by TAMI.
1 · May 27
RE the HTML5 news segment: I would like to point out that both Facebook and LinkedIn haven't given up on HTML5 in general. Both Facebook and LinkedIn obviously still have websites, and utilize HTML5 features in them. Moreover, their mobile websites remain highly popular.
What Facebook and LinkedIn have given up on are hybrid apps - native apps for iOS and Android that utilize embedded HTML5 for their UI. In their case apparently this approach resulted in having the downside of both native and HTML5 instead of the upside of both.
1 · May 27
Here's some elite tips for WebStorm:
- Install the awesome "Handlerbars/Mustache" plugin.
- Disable anti-aliasing on Linux at: Settings | Editor | Appearance | "Use anti-aliased font"
- Settings | Appearance: Theme: Darcula, Override fonts: Liberation Sans 13, disable "Animate windows", enable "Memory indicator"
- Beware of the CR/LF line-ending cross-platform insanity. Notice your commit dialogs! see if you're changing _all_ lines in files, that means you're doing something wrong.
- Study the Settings for a few hours. This is a piece of software you'll be spending with day and night, learn it.
... (continued in multiple comments due to char limit)
1 · May 25
- Spend a few hours creating your perfect "Code Style" setting, and use that as default for all projects.
- Diagrams and UMLs. Right-click small folder or Ctrl+Alt+U on classes. Vote and discuss http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/i...
- Amazing transparency. Join the development at http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/i...
- Get updated at http://blog.jetbrains.com/
- Exclude cache, logs, and other folder alike with "Directories"
- Integrate with Git of course :) Create a new "Quick List" with common git commands, best feature ever: "Annotate". Hit Alt+9 for Git log (Change to "Log" tab). Integrate with JIRA's DVCS connector (Or some other software) and always mention issue # in your commit's comments. You'll gain a bidi-directional connection between your product requirements and the source-code.
0 · May 25
- Never use the 'Project Tree'. Learn the navigation shortcuts: Ctrl+N (classes), Ctrl+Shift+N (files), Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N (symbols, even css/sass/less and js). Use the 'Project Tree' only to get acquianted to a new project's architecture. Map navigate to 'File' and 'Symbol' to Alt+Q, Alt+W respectively. You'll use them a lot.
- Use "Scopes" and "File Colors". Their amazingly powerful to color your files and filter with many features.
- Use the "External Tools" for all your CLI needs! stylus/sass/compass/less, doc generators, framework CLI, migrations, etc. Use them by right-clicking in 'Editor' or 'Project Tree'.
- Install 'Tabdir' plugin. Much better than the built-in feature. Remember to DISABLE the latter at Settings | Editor | Editor Tabs | "Show directory in editor tabs for non-unique filenames".
- Use my awesome dark theme and font recommendations :) http://devnet.jetbrains.com/thr...
0 · May 25