addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Hacker Lab Message Board › Stop Looking For A Technical Co-founder

Stop Looking For A Technical Co-founder

A former member
Post #: 304
http://techcrunch.com...­

Found this to be a rather interesting article... It was basically saying to learn how to code... Now I am a programmer, but I would have to say I agree with this. Of course you could say the same for me in that I should learn how to draw or learn how to design. I would have to disagree on that part, I think it's good to just get something built and out there and just use "programmer art". But just not to do a huge announcement about the product, keep it in the dark and start building out the community slowly.

Learning how to program isn't that hard (says the programmer), it doesn't have to be perfect and there are plenty of tools out there to help non-programmers get going. Also there is Code Academy that can teach anyone how to get started. Just make something happen for the alpha to get feedback.

Then once you got something going people be a lot more excited to jump in and help you with what you are doing versus just saying you have an idea. Obviously not everyone can think the way needed to do coding but I can say I will respect a founder 10 times more for even attempting to code it themselves instead of spending all their time trying to find some one to do it for them. In turn making me more willing to join the startup.

I am sure a lot of you disagree with me and look forward to hearing your response :-)
Gabriel G.
NascentGames
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 1
As a Founder, I'd agree because I can understand the "respect" one would get if they applied that approach.

That said...some of us, like myself, don't have that kind of time to learn it effectively like we could. I have dabbled in a few tutorials with learning C# so I can then get into XNA. But, again, I don't have that kind of time unless I want to burn myself out. And, that isn't happening. I want to live to see my game come to life. :)

In my case, I'm directing the game w/my artists & sound team as they're learning to apply their work to a video game (we're all kinda new to this). It's quite exciting and a great learning experience so far. I'm also producing some stage music, plus penning the workflow & screenplay for the game. With that, plus working a regular job FT as a Healthcare Recruiter, I am certainly not ashamed to say that I need help.

I still read up on the C# tutorials here & there. But, not like I could if didn't have my regular job. So, perhaps that means I won't get that respect like I probably could from some. I'm ok with this. I can't please everybody. Plus, I can still earn a regular living while creating something I've wanted to for years.

Very decent article though...
A former member
Post #: 305
"I have dabbled in a few tutorials with learning C# so I can then get into XNA." You sir have gained my respect for even attempting to try instead of being to scared to even try! :-) I totally understand that not everyone has the time to do EVERYTHING, but in the indie game scene you do see just about every single person being that one man army... A lot of the times because they are so indie they can't afford to higher some one else because they are already struggling themselves. So even though it can be hard and will take longer I would say when you are trying to found your own company in the beginning sometimes you must be the one man army and wear all the hats. Especially if you already have a steady income from a day job... No need to rush it, everything takes time.

I am always talking to tons of game dev teams and so very often it's always the same setup... 90% artists/designers, 9.5% musicians/writers/producers and .5% programmers. I have seen many of these teams fail simply because they couldn't find a developer and spent all the time on design and art... When really they could have just used one of the many free tools to build a game... Of course when it comes to more complex stuff they would need a bit more help but until they get to that point I don't see a reason why some one on the team couldn't have picked up enough to prototype something so they could have something to show.

Even outside the world of games id say the same thing... I am not saying that you have to become an expert in the craft, that can take years or even decades... But to learn enough so you can produce something to show some one and so that you yourself will be knowledgeable enough to make practical decisions as a leader when you finally do form that team.
Gabriel G.
NascentGames
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 2
Well I certainly appreciate that then. :)

I will say this...I've been approached by 2 programmers/coders for my game and both have backed down. One, because he got a girlfriend...the other, because he over-committed to too many things and now some are going to screwed by it, me included. But, I have to keep on rollin' here.

I am still in need of one or two programmers for my game. Because I, like you brought up in a great point, intend not to have a team where the focus is on art and not programming/development. I can't have a game without that. This I knew early on.

So, while I'm beginning to gather art & sound assets now, they'll all be in the early stages until I have a programmer or 3 set in stone. There are a few I'm talking to now, but nothing solidified yet.

Fortunately, I'm in a position to pay those on my team, even it's in smaller increments throughout the project and upon release of the game. Just going to be smart about it all...

One day at a time with this. :)
A former member
Post #: 306
Something I have learned over many years running the meetup and just working in lots of teams... People are simply unreliable :-) Especially when money is not involved... Hence the reason why id encourage you to start tinkering yourself... All the time you spent searching you could have been doing :-) Id honestly stay stop gathering the art and music... Focus on building the core mechanic first, just use "programmer art". Adding that stuff is super easy to do later.

But if you do indeed have money to offer people that does change things up a bit, that will of course encourage people to work... But where is the love? I have worked on games with people from the meetup and released them simply because we became friends first. Id say it's probably better to actually chat up the person you eventually want to work with first instead of just looking for someone to hire. Hence the reason why meetups are so lovely ;-) Once you become friends with someone they become a lot more reliable (and willing to work for free). Especially if they are as passionate about the project as you are... Id say that is very key! If they just see it as another pay check don't even bother... That is not some one you want to work with.

I am not trying to say for you to stop looking for coders or anything but more so in that I just don't want you spending months trying to find coders and spending your lovely money and time dealing with flakes when all that time you could have picked up a tool and produced an awesome small game yourself. There are TONS of people who work full time and spend every waking minute after that building their game... I know I did back when I was building accounting software :-)

And of course i'll try and setup meetings and introduce you to people to help you find that dream team via the game dev meetup, I want to make sure everyone succeeds in Sacramento when it comes to making games!
Gabriel G.
NascentGames
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 3
Well stated, yes.

But, see, that's the thing. Both are friends of mine. Both approached me first. They offered, then backed out for my previously stated reasons. It's a pity really.

So, I have to look now if I want this to happen. :)

I only met one coder at the Game Dev meetup/mingle last Saturday. But, he just had a kid 2 weeks ago. Sooooo...gotta keep looking. lol

I do appreciate it. Being the new guy to Sac, it'll help.

And what tools do you speak of? You mentioned before about "non-programmer" tools?
A former member
Post #: 307
Well that's just life I suppose :-P Call me dead inside but I don't trust anyone anymore these days, haha... Which is why I try and do everything myself :-) Everyone is indeed busy so perhaps try and work with their schedules. Since they came to you clearly they believe in your vision so id say stick it out.

For the meetup I am thinking of holding gatherings specially geared towards just finding other people to join a team, so hopefully that should help you weed out some more people... Very much like Gina's founder dating :-)

As for tools you can use to start making games with zero coding skills
Stencyl(free)
Game Maker(free)
Construct (windows only and free)
Game Salad (mac only and free)
RPG Maker (windows only and on trial bases)

Also id recommend not focusing to hard on art and music... Use programmer art for now and honestly music should be the very last thing you think about.
Yuri
user 17088091
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 1
Kudos for referring these tools Joseph. I am a coder myself but know plenty of minds I want to hand these to.