Hacks/Hackers Miami Message Board › Organizers' meetup and next steps

Organizers' meetup and next steps

Rebekah M.
rebekahmonson
Miami, FL
Post #: 1
Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone who showed up or called in to the organizer meetup last night. If you missed it, here's a rundown:

Hacks/Hackers mission: If you haven't already, head on over to hackshackers.com so you can see what this thing is all about on a global scale. We also looked at some programming from other chapters, including Austin, Buenos Aires and NYC as a guide for some ideas of what we may do in the future.

Interest: We have solid interest from the journalism community (hacks), but we need to get more buy-in from the hackers side. Organizers agreed to tap into their networks and reach out to developer/designer friends who may be interested. Also, we need to reach out to RefreshMiami, SFL Hack and Tell, SMC and other tech-oriented groups, especially civic hackers, to identify more interested parties. We do have very strong support from UM School of Comm faculty, and we hope to leverage that into a cool partnership.

Everyone present identified tech education and learning how to communicate across the tech/journalism divide as urgent needs in our community.

Meet-ups and initiatives: Steph agreed to put on a MySQL workshop one Saturday next month. Need to hammer out date and venue, and will shoot to get all that done by next week.

Dan mentioned tying into the National Day of Civic Hacking June 1 & 2 for a splashy official launch. Problem is, there is no Miami or even South Florida event scheduled as yet. I have reached out to hackforchange to get info on how we might initiate something. Have also reached out to a few tech groups to gauge interest. Anyone want to take point on this?

Ideas and resources: Several resources and ideas for projects were thrown out during our discussion, so I've created some shared documents so we can collect those:

HH project ideas: For things that might be cool to build together in a future hackathon or as small groups. I've included some questions about stakeholders, scalability and maintenance to make sure we're considering some of the longer-term stuff when we do get to a point of choosing projects.

Educational resources for Hacks: Add your favorite coding resources/educational links here.

Twitter: @hackshackersMIA is live. Please follow and message Rebekah if you'd like to help build out our social media presence.

Upcoming events/announcements:
Raquel announced Impact Obesity, a hack-a-thon that is looking for creative minds with mad tech skills to help solve one of the largest health concerns in the United States - obesity. Please reach out to your communities to drive interest in truly making a difference in the lives of millions. The big difference between this event and a typical hack-a-thon is the focus on collaborating with the healthcare experts to find a product worth building, rather than simply writing code and building a product as fast as possible. There is up to $30,000 in seed grants to take the best ideas to the next level. This event will take place March 23 and 24 and UM’s Life Science and Technology Park. To learn more and to register, visit http://bit.ly/YEtpNL­

The next RefreshMiami is 3/27 on hardware and robotics. Rebekah and Steph are planning to go, anyone else who's interested, let us know.

Broward and Palm folks, SFL Hack and Tell is meeting on Thursday on Clematis for Beer and Tell and info on Palm Beach LED, a new makerspace in WPB.

What did I miss?
Andrej
user 2912777
Miami, FL
Post #: 30
Rebekah, reach out to Ernie Hsiung or Richard Bookman of UM - they are working on something for National Day of Civic Hacking.
Rebekah M.
rebekahmonson
Miami, FL
Post #: 2
Awesome! I'll get right on that.