Hacks/Hackers Toronto Message Board › Thanks for coming, and some extra reading/reference materials

Thanks for coming, and some extra reading/reference materials

momoko p.
user 8662700
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys,

Thanks for coming to last night's meetup! Had a lot of fun discussing submitted visualizations, technical and analytical pitfalls and future projects. And congrats to Martin Magdinier, for the project he did on Toronto's water data! Thorough work :)

If you do want to try scraping on your own time, I highly recommend walking through the tutorial on the BuzzData blog:

http://blog.buzzdata....­

and also giving Scraperwiki a whirl. Nicola will be happy to respond to your issues if you get stuck ... The bonus side of playing with Scraperwiki is that you don't need to install any programs to run your code.

As well, i had some people asking for scripting how-to material. I highly recommend downloading the online book Everyday Scripting with Ruby:

http://pragprog.com/b...­

Last, I talked to a few people at the event and it seems that many people fall into the category of "want to code but can't find time/motivation to practice." Now I'm wondering if there's a better way to do these hands-on workshops ...

Like, what if BuzzData's next meetup was less speaker-to-audience-oriented, and in a laid-back venue (LinuxCaffe?) where:

a) we discuss & evaluate completed projects and/or contest submissions and
b) everyone gets the chance to have a 5 min standup to tell the group about something they're working on and solicit feedback & suggestions from the group (including just basic coding exercises, wrt the newbies)
then
c) we just hang out and f&*%ing code for an afternoon, you know?

I could still hand out contest datasets and suggestions for stuff to work on at every session, so people starting out who lack ideas can get a push in a concrete direction, but for the most part it would just be scheduling a regular time to hack together ...

What do you think?

Momoko

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Olivia Padiernos-Mapue wrote:

Hi lady, it's Liv from the workshop yesterday!
Okay, check out these places for your next workshop:
1. ING Network Orange (Yonge & Dundas) – my friend, Carolyn Van (she runs thirdocean.com), works out of there, and was the one who said that Network Orange offers free workshop space. But don't quote me on that, best to get a direct quote from them.
2. Workplace One (Queen and Bathurst) – contact Chandler Rumble who handles management and marketing (she's my pal, and is lovely): c.rumble@workplaceone.ca­.
3. Uh... try asking Dark Horse? Although I remember that guy yesterday said they have crap wifi.
4. Also, tickets for the next Ladies Learning Code event go on sale on Nov. 9 at 7pm. www.ladieslearningcode.com­
I'll be in touch soon about coding/nerding sessions! More towards the end of November, when things settle a bit for me (hopefully/fingers crossed).
Liv

(t) @LPMkraftlab

--

Momoko Price
Communications Director
BuzzData.com
momoko@buzzdata.com
Twitter: @buzzdata
c: (647) 504-7059
o: (416) 546-9780