Yes, Hacks/Hackers PDX is still alive! We have two co-organizers, M. Edward (@znmeb) Borasky and Melissa (@capnleela) Chavez. For January we’re having a 2014 kickoff round table.
For those of you so inclined, we’re allocating 5 minutes each for lightning talks. Bring a laptop or a USB stick (PDF, PowerPoint, HTML5 slides will all work on a USB stick with @znmeb’s laptop) with a presentation you can give in 5 minutes.
For the hackers, present something you’re working on. For example, @znmeb will probably do something on email text mining. For the hacks, we’d like to hear about the problems / needs / challenges of your beats.
From the mailing lists @znmeb is on, the most common ones aside from FOIA / bureaucracy navigation seem to be PDF data extraction, understanding census data, and adapting to the mobile small screen. There’s also “the future” — drones, sensors, learning to code, etc.
• Introductions / Networking / Lightning talk sign-up: 30 minutes
• Lightning talks (5 minutes each)
Hackers - what are you working on?
Hacks - what do you need / what are your challenges?
• Wrapup / Possible future meeting topics: 15 - 30 minutes
• Security / anonymity / crypto etc.?
• Text mining?
• Census data?
• Responsive design / mobile apps?
• Environmental science / sensor journalism?
• Verification tools?
• Data journalism — breaking down the info.
• Exploratory data analysis / basic statistics?
• Urban planning / transportation?
• Reporting tools
Contact us if you’d like to be a panelist for February: Multidisciplinary Forum — "Do"s, "Don't"s & the Digital Future