Hacks/Hackers Portland Message Board › Status Updates

Status Updates

M. Edward (Ed) B.
It's been a while since we had a meetup and I want to bring you up to date on the plans for the future and some other interesting things happening in the area.

• We definitely want to have more meetups. The sticking point now is venues, not ideas or speakers. If you can provide access to a space for meetups, preferably walking distance from a MAX stop, please let me know.
  • I am doing a lot of work with spatial data as the Spatial Data team lead for Hack Oregon. This is all open source (PostGIS and QGIS­ are the main tools) and lives on Github at https://github.com/hackoregon/SpatialDatabase­. The focus of this effort is determining the precinct boundaries for use in the Hack Oregon applications, but there are some spinoffs given that much of our data is coming from the Census Bureau's TIGER/Line®­ resources.
  • For those of you interested in transit data, there is a hackathon­ open to the public at Open Source Bridge. I'll be there and may try to hack up something with Census data.
  • Finally, the Portland brigade of Code for America, cleverly named "Code for Portland", is reawakened and hacking! I'm attending the meetups, although I'm mostly working on the Hack Oregon tasks at the moment.