Harrisburg WordPress User Group Message Board › Meetup Topic Suggestions

Meetup Topic Suggestions

Ryan D.
RyanDuff
Group Organizer
Etters, PA
Post #: 3
Lets open a topic for ideas... what do you want to hear about? What are your WordPress problems? Please dish... it'll help me figure out what the groups needs are and topics to present on.

Here's a running list I have going of things that haven't been covered yet or have been requested:

• Security
  • WP-CLI
  • Migrating websites from development/staging to production
  • Caching/Transients/Making sites fast
  • WP-Debug and troubleshooting code
  • Child themes
  • Script best practices / registering, enqueuing, etc
  • Roles and capabilities
  • Testing new versions, deploying, ensuring forward compatibility
  • Local development environments
  • Contributing to core / .org
  • Hosting environments (What to look for when choosing a host)
  • Custom post types / Content structure / CMS
  • Themes and plugins for profit
  • SASS
  • WordPress DB Schema / MySQL basics
  • Multisite
  • E-Commerce overview

Jonathan
user 7260771
Harrisburg, PA
Post #: 4
Ok, I'm using WooCommerce to add eCommerce functionality for a client, but that's just the beginning. WooCommerce does a lot, yet you may find some small things that it doesn't do out of the box, but your client needs. As an example, my client needs to charge a flat shipping rate on some of their products. WC offers flat rate, but not per item. So to solve this I added yet another plugin that offers the ability to add the shipping rate on an item-by-item basis.

I'd like to hear about other people's solutions to problems like this that have come up. It's easy for me to say, well, there's a plugin for that. But until I get the plugin installed and working on the project I'm not aware of some drawbacks.

Another plugin that I'm using for the same client is Events Manager Pro because my client wants to offer ticket sales on their website and move away from EvenBrite and the fees involved. I've looked at a lot of EventBrite alternatives and all seem to have their pros and cons and collect fees one way or another. Events Manager Pro os in no means a perfect replacement for the functionality of Event Brite, but it seems to offer enough of a solution for the client.

I'd also be interested in hearing about workflows for WP development. Let's say you already launched a website on WP and the client wants to add new features. You can download the BackupBuddy file, install it locally to you dev work. How do you go about showing the client the new features that are running locally? And how do you integrate content that may have been added to the production website by the client to your local version before you do a new production launch?

That's just some stuff I'm thinking about off the top of my head.
Matthew H.
user 85804712
Camp Hill, PA
Post #: 1
Regarding Ryan's email about beginner topics... here's a few:

Integration of 3rd party tools that someone launching a new business would need. Such as

• shopping cart
  • mail chimp integration
  • facebook integration (to replace Wordpress' comments)
  • photo galleries

From a beginner's point of view, Wordpress' features appear to be limited to what you get out of the box: posts, pages, categories, and not much more.

Think of this topic from an entrepreneurial point of view. Think about the business owner that's launching a new business and the 3rd party tools that are critical to have in place. Business owners often think it's difficult to find/configure the right plug-ins/widgets. Show them how easy it can be.

Also... think of SquareSpace and what they offer. Although I don't use SquareSpace, or know anyone who does, they seem to be selling the service as something that has a spectacular photo gallery, that has a great merchant package, that can easily integrate with external services like facebook, flickr, etc. In other words, to the entrepreneur, it seems like having these things on Wordpress requires too much research/time/skill.

Whatever you can do to shed some light on how easy it is to extend Wordpress so it includes these critical business features would appeal to the first time user. The subject for the meetup could be: "Wordpress features every new business should have."

Hope this helps!
Julie P.
user 49241112
Harrisburg, PA
Post #: 1
Hello, I am a beginner. I think the above suggestions are really great. Here are a few other ideas:

Customizing your Wordpress site and making it your own. Little tweaks that can add a big punch.

Development Phases- break a Wordpress project into phases so you can literally work through a whole project.

Integrations- What Wordpress plays wells with.
Travis T.
user 75902992
York, PA
Post #: 4
I'd be very interested in learning about version control for easy development!