addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Hawai'i Hiking Group Message Board › Hikes to do

Hikes to do

Bob C
BobCosmos
Sausalito, CA
Post #: 26
Pupukea loop trail
From Bruce A!
I tried a loop up Pupukea Road on Monday, I'd been on it before. You park at the end of Pupukea road and walk up the dirt road and the trail starts on the right about a quarter mile up. It's about 6 or less miles total. an hour to an hour and a half in the mostly native forest, well cut trail, well maintained, then maybe up to 30 minutes on what you would call a fire road (native forest), then thirty to forty five minutes back on a paved road. Steeper terrain than Maunawili. like hiking the Aiea Loop trail from the bottom, one and a half times as steep as the latter. It took me 2 and a half hours, very peaceful, not pushing it. You could carpool from the Safeway parking lot at the bottom of Pupukea Rd. There is roadside parking at the trail head for five or six cars. I didn't see anybody, except on the paved road on the way back, but it was Monday. There is also a Heiau (ancient Hawaiian Temple) on the way up Pupukea Road, as in the entrance to the park at Aiea Loop Trail. I think tomorrow I'll try Lanipo, behind Kaimuki off Maunalani circle. Advanced hike, like a centipedes legs upthe ridge to the top of the Koolaus. Takes 3-4, hours up 2-3 down, plan for 6 with a group, I guess. I'll let you know how it is. It's real safe for the most part but gets step at the top and, as I remember, there's one long steep scramble near the top. Maybe soneone's mad stairs by now. I'll see. Bound to be geocaches. Pupukea is real nice, like Aiea loop, but native forest. It's on the north shore, but if you have the time, the drive back on the windward coast is real nice. There are plenty of places to eat in Haleiwa. I'll get back to you on the names of the trails in Haleiwa and Pupukea.
Bob C
BobCosmos
Sausalito, CA
Post #: 27
From Chris http://www.meetup.com...­
Hello Bob =), just wanted to thank you for scheduling awesome hikes. I notice you scheduled Waimano trail. Any plans on doing the Waimano Ridge? Aiea Ridge? Iliahi Ridge? Always wanted to do those trails but haven't gotten a chance yet. How about the Wahiawa Hills River rafting, that will be fun. Good job on organizing hikes, have a nice day!
Bob C
BobCosmos
Sausalito, CA
Post #: 28
From Bruce
Does this look like the hike you are suggesting?

http://oahuhiking.com...­

We should do this! Bob

There's a loop around two hillsides off Hauula homestead road, another hike on the other side of the stream up a ridge. For a winter hike I'd just do the loop, on the north side, 2-3 miles, under two hours. A walk in the hills. Good views. Can bring dogs. Beginner mostly. Maybe 600 feet elevation gain. Nice drive to the country. Eat at Papa Ole's in the Hauula shopping center on the way back. Local style. I've heard it's good, Pappa Ole's.
Bob C
BobCosmos
Sausalito, CA
Post #: 29

Poamoho Hike February 15, 2014
The Poamoho Trail is one of the shortest and most attractive routes to the Ko`olau summit. Unlike most trails to the summit Poamoho is largely through native forest rather than through re-forested areas. The views of the stream below the trail and the Punalu`u Valley on the windward side are both beautiful and spectacular. The Club has not scheduled this hike since July 2012 due to the conditions set forth in an MOU between the State and Castle and Cooke which became necessary because of aggravated acts of vandalism to Castle and Cooke property. A permit process was set up between the landowner (Castle and Cooke) and the State which gives us limited access. The permit requirements are onerous and daunting when applied to organizing a large group outing like an HTMC hike. The requirements are:

ACCESS BY PERMIT ONLY!

Please read the following before applying for a permit:
PERMIT REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS:
1. Access is for weekends and state/federal holidays only.

2. Twenty (20) permits will be issued for each weekend day or holiday.

3. Five (5) people will be allowed to access under one permit in one vehicle (4x4 only).

4. One four wheel drive vehicle will be allowed per permit

5. New permits will not be issued to the same person for thirty (30) days. This will not apply to hunters.

6. Permit applications must be received by the Makiki DOFAW branch Only!

7. Permit applications must be received by mail, fax or in person no later then ten (10) working days before requested.

8. Access will be from Sunrise to Sunset - No overnight camping will be allowed at this time.

9. No sharing gate combination with non-permittees or using combination on days not listed on permit.

10. No discharging any firearm or weapons within safety zones.

11. No tampering with, vandalizing or stealing any equipment, materials or fruit.

12. No dirt bikes, motocross, ATVs or horses are allowed on access road or trail.

13. Wrongful activity on the part of permittees may result in a termination of access permit or permanent closure of the road and trail.