History of Philosophy Book Club Message Board › Change in how people on the waiting list are moved to the attendee list

Change in how people on the waiting list are moved to the attendee list

Scott
user 6899431
Silver Spring, MD
In the past, when someone on the attendee list changed their RSVP from “yes” to “no,” the next person on the waiting list was automatically bumped up to the "yes" list, even though they may have changed their mind during the intervening time. Unfortunately, by not removing their name from the attendee list, they deprived others who really wanted to attend from doing so. Periodically I sent e-mails alerting members to this problem, but few took the necessary action.

To prevent it from continuing, I have changed the method by which waiting list people get on the attendee list. As soon as an opening occurs, the meetup computer notifies all those on the waiting list. The first person to respond "yes" or "I want to attend" (I haven't seen the exact language of the instructions since I'm never on the waiting list) gets the slot. I realize this isn't a perfect method: if you're not at the computer the moment the message is sent, you're at a disadvantage compared to those who are. However, a similar method of first come, first served, has been used by the Kennedy Center for distributing free/discounted tickets and seems popular.

If I see that this change isn’t working, I will go back to the drawing board. However, there is one way to almost ensure that you get to attend a desired meeting: as soon as a new meetup is announced, and you know you’ll want to come to it, immediately RSVP "yes." You can always change it at a later time (hopefully people who are decidedly ambivalent won’t use this as a placeholder, ready to withdraw it as soon as something more interesting comes along; if I sense a pattern, I try to address it with the individual).
If you have posted a message on our site, asking me to put you on the attendee list, please be aware I can't do this; to get on the attendee list you must respond to the computer generated e-mails announcing openings and follow the instructions. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Scott
Alex R.
user 13714540
Group Organizer
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 14
That makes sense and sounds like a fair way of doing things.