align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Holly Springs Writers Guild Message Board › Some "how to" books I mentioned at the last meeting.

Some "how to" books I mentioned at the last meeting.

Carolyn W.
CarolynnWoods
Cary, NC
Post #: 1
At our last meeting, it was suggested that I share some of the book titles I think are helpful for novice writers. I find them helpful for myself for reviewing and remembering.
A basic for me and many others is, Writing Down the Bones, by Natalie Goldberg. She takes the rigid sting out of writing, making it a less stressful pursuit. Next, I recommend the Complete Idiot's Guide to "Creative Writing", by Laurie E. Rozakis, Ph.D., she has laid out all the information in clear, concise terms organized in such a manner to be used as a reference book to be kept between your coffee mug and laptop. She covers everything you always wanted to know about writing, but were afraid to ask. And, last, my recent favorite (and I begrudgingly share this one with you, because, yes, it's that good)
Writing the Paranormal Novel, by Steven Harper. I realize that not everyone is writing paranormal, but this book transcends most genre and serves any writer by giving some the best hints i have seen about theme, plot, character development, and dialogue. And, if you're writing fantasy and all fiction is fantasy, this is a "must" read. As an added bonus Harper proceeds to give his readers inside info' about submissions, agents, etc. Hope you find these books as helpful as I have.