Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › New Meetup: Evolution and the Texas School Board

New Meetup: Evolution and the Texas School Board

Closed to new replies

Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Announcing a new Meetup for Greater Houston Skeptic Society!

What: Evolution and the Texas School Board

When: January 14, 2009 6:30 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: Co-Organizer Sam (the only male Skepchick) will give a brief talk on the current issues before the Texas State Board of Education dealing with evolution, and will then introduce his friend Richard Sucgang, PhD from Columbia and current Asst. Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Baylor College of Medicine, who will give a talk on the evidence for evolution in genome sequences, tailored to the lay audience.

The Ragin' Cajun restaurant is set up so that you order and get your food at the counter. You may come any time. Sam will start at 7:00 p.m., so if you don't want to miss any of the talk, plan on getting there before that time to get your food. We'll have time for questions/answers as before, and social time afterwards.

See you there!

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­
Richard
user 8531395
Houston, TX
Post #: 7
Brief follow-up after the meeting...

It was an interesting presentation and discussion. It turns out I happen to agree fully with evolution and that we should be very mindful of what information makes its way into our education system. But I would like to have seen some dissenting opinions; not for a 'throw the christians to the lions' type spectacle, but to get a better idea of how the pro-ID types rationalize their directive and, perhaps, get some transparency out of their motives. Presumably this discovery institute place has their own PhD experts with something beyond "because my book says so". Wonder if they would have attended?

We should take Ricky and goto http://www.discovery....­ to continue the discussion.
Not to be combative or antagonistic, but just to have the experts make their respective cases.
Back and forth to get it all out in the open.

Now that would be a meetup!! (but for the fact that it's in new mexico :( )

A former member
Post #: 3
I think we would do better to have someone from our Skeptic Society do a presentation that outlines their position, such as it is. Am I correct in assuming that you know the basics of their argument and you're just interested in hearing them defend it, or is it something that you haven't had a chance to evaluate as yet? You're right, though, that the ID position doesn't specifically take the "because my book says so" position. That said, I think you'll be sorely disappointed by the rationale of their "experts", because all they really offer as justification for their position are specious analogies and logical fallacies disguised as science for the layperson.