add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Hudson Valley Walk with Donkeys Message Board › Upcoming events for September and beyond

Upcoming events for September and beyond

Steve S.
user 99324202
Group Organizer
Ulster Park, NY
Hi All:
An update on upcoming events and some general news about the "Little Brays".

I've been away and also navigating through a change of jobs and so not been able to schedule anything in the past few weeks.      I've just posted a few upcoming events and will be planning more for October.  Fall is a great time to be outdoors and hiking the Hudson Valley and I will try to increase the frequency a bit before we get into the holiday season and the weather changes.

There are still several of you who've not made it out to an event and I hope one of the upcoming ones will suit your schedule and interests.   As always, if there is something I can do to better accommodate your location or schedule, let me know and I'll try.

This Wednesday, Sep 11,  and Saturday, Sep 21, are "donkey time" sessions here at Donkey Park.  These are intended for new members who have not yet had a walking orientation as well as for experienced members who want to spend more time developing a relationship with their favorite donk.    

A reminder for new members:  while all are welcome to walk along with the group on a hike, for the safety of the donkeys, only those who've attended an orientation can actually control the lead of a donkey during a hike.   Sometimes, I can provide "on-the-job" training during a walk, but only if the situation allows and I cannot guarantee that ahead of time.     So, best if you can first make it to an orientation and most seem to find them enjoyable and valuable and you do get to walk them during that. 

If you can't make a scheduled orientation, I can often accommodate impromptu visits during the week-- let me know if you'd like to visit.

On Sunday, Sep 29, is our next trail walk.   Because many attend church on Sundays, I've scheduled this one to begin at 1pm and it will purposely be a bit shorter than others.    I have not yet confirmed a trail but am leaning towards the trail off the Franny Reese State Park in Highland, NY which features a nice overlook of the Mid-Hudson Bridge and Hudson River.

Because we have so many members in Westchester County and Connecticut, I will be planning one of the October hikes to be somewhere closer to the NY/CT border.

For those that didn't attend the planned Minnewaska Hike, we ended up having to change to the Wallkill River Valley Trail in New Paltz that day due to not having the appropriate equine permits.   Unlike the Walkway Over the Hudson which has an unreasonable permit requirement, Minnewaska's requirement is based on concern for the welfare of equines sharing the trail and makes sense.   They require a "Coggins" test for each animal, the purpose of which is to minimize the risk of equines passing on "equine infectious enemia", the bubonic plague of equines.  The only catch for me is that the cost of the test for each animal is not trivial so I have to weigh that against how much fun it'd be to hike with them on Minnewaska... or consider passing on the cost to members.

Finally, the Little Brays of Sunshine (the "therapy" side of Donkey Park) and, indirectly, this group, were written about in the Rails-to-Trails Organization magazine for our use of Hudson Valley rail trails for training and socializing the donks:   Click here to read

Also, the herd recently entertained a group of mentally handicapped adults from an ARC home in Kingston.   For those who would like to help with the Little Brays therapy work, contact me.

Hope to see you all at an upcoming event.

Proudly, your chief jackass